fpc3.0.4 Mageia 7 version

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

fpc3.0.4 Mageia 7 version

Postby MikeFinch » May 26th, '19, 03:29

I cannot now do updates in Mageia 7 Beta3 because I'm told lazaraus2.0.2 has to be removed first.

I notice that there is a Mageia 7 version of frp3.0.4 : fpc3.0.4-6.mga7.... or something like that. I have had to reinstall the original fpc3.0.4 to get lazarus2.0.2 working again! - I think I removed the Mageia7 version first.

I sincerely hope that this M7 version solves the problems I have previously complained about over the years concerning linux versions of lazarus pascal programs being at odds with the equivalent, seemingly "correct", Windows versions.

The question now is : how do I install lazarus2.0.2 using the Mageia version of fpc3.0.4? I tried to do it but couldn't.

Regards,
Mike Finch
Last edited by isadora on May 26th, '19, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved into appropriate sub-forum.
MikeFinch

Re: fpc3.0.4 Mageia 7 version

Postby ITA84 » May 26th, '19, 08:36

Which lazarus package do you have installed? The Mageia one is still at 1.8. With a quick check I saw that Fedora has the 2.0.2 version: it requires fpc-3.0.4 (in theory it should be compatible with the package in Mageia, but maybe I'm wrong). Do you have other RPM packages installed that are not from Mageia? For instance, is the 'original' fpc3.0.4 package not from Mageia? It could be that another package pulled in fpc3.0.4-6.mga7 as a dependency, overwriting the original one
ITA84

Postby MikeFinch » May 27th, '19, 03:54

ITA84 > I am using version 2.0.2 downloaded from the lazarus site.

To my knowledge I don't have other rpm packages "not from Mageia"; actually I'm not sure what you mean!

Yes I only have the lazarus files (so fpc3.0.4 is not from Mageia).

I still have the problem where apparently I have to remove lazarus2.0.2 to be able to do updates for Mageia 7!! This is clearly ridiculous.

Thanks for your expertise; I hope this one can be solved and look forward to any more input from you (or anyone else).
MikeFinch

Postby ITA84 » May 27th, '19, 09:24

I don't know if it'll help, but if there's another package that's pulling fpc3.0.4-6.mga7 as a dependency you might find it with the command

Code: Select all
urpmq –whatrequires fpc
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » May 27th, '19, 22:59

It would help if you would add the output of
rpm -qa|grep -iE "fpc|lazarus"

From what I can see, the problem is that cauldron has fpc-3.0.4-6.mga7
the -6 (release) means that this is considered "newer" then the fpc-3.0.4-1 package you got from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazaru ... s%202.0.2/
lazarus is still at lazarus-1.8.4-3.mga7. Now the package manager does its job and want to update your "older" fpc version,
which will remove the newer lazarus version as it seems depends on that fpc version.

So to summarize this, if you want to keep the fpc and lazarus packages you currently have installed, you would need to add both of those to /etc/urpmi/skip.list
with one line per package name, and the package manager would skip updates to those packages. So this is what you would add at the bottom of that file:

fpc
lazarus
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby MikeFinch » May 28th, '19, 05:24

doktor5000 >
rpm -qa|grep -iE "fpc|lazarus" gave

lazarus-2.0.2-0
fpc-3.0.4-1
fpc-src-3.0,4-171204

The updates went flawlessly! Thanks for the skip.list tip.

The intriguing question now is : what does the mga7 version of fpc3.0.4 "have" that the direct lazarus file doesn't? I have used the files from lazarus exclusively and things seem basically OK.
However I have complained over the years about the seemingly inferior linux versions of my program(s) over the Windows version(s). (See my complaints over the years).

Should I use the mga7 fpc-3.0.4 version for (as yet unknown to me) differences (improvements?).
Last edited by isadora on May 28th, '19, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed command-output in between [CODE]-tags for better readability ;)
MikeFinch

Postby ITA84 » May 28th, '19, 09:56

MikeFinch wrote:The intriguing question now is : what does the mga7 version of fpc3.0.4 "have" that the direct lazarus file doesn't? I have used the files from lazarus exclusively and things seem basically OK.
However I have complained over the years about the seemingly inferior linux versions of my program(s) over the Windows version(s). (See my complaints over the years).

As far as I can tell it's just minor patches, half of which are for the arm64 build; besides, that's just the Free Pascal Compiler, so I doubt you'd get any significant improvement (unless you're experiencing stuff like crashes when building your programs)
ITA84

Postby doktor5000 » May 29th, '19, 01:52

MikeFinch wrote:Should I use the mga7 fpc-3.0.4 version for (as yet unknown to me) differences (improvements?).

I'd say use what works for you.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron