[MGA 7 b] Update-Grub: DM multipath kernel driver not loaded

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[MGA 7 b] Update-Grub: DM multipath kernel driver not loaded

Postby frc2kde » Apr 20th, '19, 20:05

It doesn't seem to be a real problem ─ but I'd like to understand why does it happen.

Each manual update-grub shows this message after detecting Mageia and before to detect other distros:

Code: Select all
# date && update-grub && date
qui abr 18 17:44:05 -03 2019
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.0.7-desktop-5.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.0.7-desktop-5.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.0.7-desktop-4.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.0.7-desktop-4.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.0.7-desktop-2.mga7
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.0.7-desktop-2.mga7.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-desktop
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-desktop.img
Apr 18 17:44:25 | DM multipath kernel driver not loaded

It didn't happen until March, 26.

It happens since April, 12, at least.

Code: Select all
Operating System: Mageia 7
KDE Plasma Version: 5.15.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.57.0
Qt Version: 5.12.2
Kernel Version: 5.0.7-desktop-5.mga7
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 2 × Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 3,8 GiB of RAM

CTRL-F in /var/log/boot.log doesn't find any "multipath".
frc2kde

Re: [MGA 7 b] Update-Grub: DM multipath kernel driver not lo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 22nd, '19, 01:40

frc2kde wrote:It doesn't seem to be a real problem ─ but I'd like to understand why does it happen.

So is it an actual problem or not? If you don't use a multipath setup, it's just some verbose message.
See e.g. https://www.suse.com/de-de/support/kb/doc/?id=3003090
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby frc2kde » Apr 27th, '19, 18:13

doktor5000 wrote:So is it an actual problem or not?

That's my doubt.

doktor5000 wrote:If you don't use a multipath setup, it's just some verbose message.
See e.g. https://www.suse.com/de-de/support/kb/doc/?id=3003090

I could suppose it, too.

But it makes no sense ─ there are many installed packages I don't use, ─ including multipath, in other distros I dualboot, ─ and it would be sad to receive hundreds of verbose messages for all unused / unset packages.

Why am I not sure it is not a problem?

Because there are other problems ─ even before this message to appear ─ which may be related to it.

Almost all first time I try to run Mageia 7 (beta), it doesn't Automount my extra partitions.

Just now, I had to Restart ─ and after this 2nd Boot, Mageia do Automount extra partitions.

Is is a big problem? ─ No. It is not a BIG problem to Restart 1 time, at morning, and usually I will work with Mageia 7 (beta) for 1 day or even 2 days, 3 days ─ except when I get a new Kernel revision.

But if it is not a BIG problem, it is really sad to have to Boot twice before to get Automount.

If it could matter, Automount is set by System settings >> Removable storage >> Removable devices, which uses udisks2.

There were also other problems ─ such as Grub invert HDD's SATA order (sdc before sdb).

Multipath - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_DM_Multipath

Multipath is not so useful for domestic Desktop users ─ but it is not so crazy to think it could be related to these "other problems" ─ and I wouldn't think about it, if there were not this message while updating Grub.

So, I'd like to understand why does this message appear while updating Grub ─ only in Mageia 7 (beta) ─ not in Mageia 6, nor in any other distro.
frc2kde

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 28th, '19, 14:38

frc2kde wrote:Almost all first time I try to run Mageia 7 (beta), it doesn't Automount my extra partitions.

Just now, I had to Restart ─ and after this 2nd Boot, Mageia do Automount extra partitions.

Is is a big problem? ─ No. It is not a BIG problem to Restart 1 time, at morning, and usually I will work with Mageia 7 (beta) for 1 day or even 2 days, 3 days ─ except when I get a new Kernel revision.

But if it is not a BIG problem, it is really sad to have to Boot twice before to get Automount.

If it could matter, Automount is set by System settings >> Removable storage >> Removable devices, which uses udisks2.

There were also other problems ─ such as Grub invert HDD's SATA order (sdc before sdb).

If your actual issue is with automounting your partitions, then please mention that, and not some unrelated verbose message.
If you want to get that fixed, then please create a separate thread for that issue. Same for the grub issue, but e.g. for grub legacy that would usually just be a quick adjustment to device.map to change that.

For the reason why the multipath message is shown, that's mentioned in the linked website. If the respective service is not running, then it cannot be queried, hence the verbose message telling you that.
Maybe other distros hide this by default, maybe they enable multipath by default or their default grub configuration modularly searches for multipath devices.
If you are really concerned by that multipath message, then feel free to open a bugreport: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/How_to_report_a_bug_properly
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron