MySQL Workbench fails to connect to MariaDB

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

MySQL Workbench fails to connect to MariaDB

Postby banjo » Apr 13th, '19, 17:28

I am running a fully updated Mageia 7 Beta and attempting to connect MySQL Workbench to MariaDB. It fails giving the error:

“Unsupported option provided to mysql_options()”

I searched the web and found numerous references to this error with regard to incompatible versions of MySQL Workbench and MariaDB. I was wondering if I have a setup problem or if Mageia 7 Beta has a pair of incompatible packages. I can connect with MariaDB on the CLI just fine.

Here is the system info:

Code: Select all
$ rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
lib64qt5-database-plugin-mysql-5.12.2-2.mga7
perl-DBD-mysql-4.50.0-1.mga7
mysql-workbench-6.3.10-6.mga7
lib64mysqlcppconn7-1.1.9-2.mga7

$ rpm -qa | grep -i mariadb
mariadb-10.3.14-1.mga7
mariadb-common-core-10.3.14-1.mga7
lib64mariadb3-10.3.14-1.mga7
mariadb-extra-10.3.14-1.mga7
mariadb-client-10.3.14-1.mga7
mariadb-common-10.3.14-1.mga7
mariadb-core-10.3.14-1.mga7

$ inxi -b
System:    Host: Mageia7 Kernel: 5.0.7-desktop-4.mga7 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.15.4 Distro: Mageia 7 mga7
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX PLUS v: Rev X.0x serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends
           v: 0502 date: 10/21/2011
CPU:       Dual Core: Intel Core2 Duo E7300 type: MCP speed: 1636 MHz
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] driver: nvidia v: 340.107
           Display: x11 server: Mageia X.org 1.20.4 driver: nvidia,v4l resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce 9600 GT/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           Device-2: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139too
           Device-3: Qualcomm Atheros AR9271 802.11n type: USB driver: ath9k_htc
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 25.16 GiB (5.4%)
Info:      Processes: 201 Uptime: 3h 56m Memory: 3.85 GiB used: 2.71 GiB (70.5%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.33

Thanks,
Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Re: MySQL Workbench fails to connect to MariaDB

Postby banjo » Apr 14th, '19, 15:18

Still trying to get around the connection problem. I have not found any solutions or workarounds yet.

When I try to connect to the DB server using TCPIP, I get the following error.

WorkbecnchTCPIPError.png
Error connecting through TCPIP
WorkbecnchTCPIPError.png (35.19 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

When I attempt to connect using the SSH protocol I get the following error.

WorkbenchSSHTunnelError.png
Error connecting through SSH
WorkbenchSSHTunnelError.png (13.65 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

The database server is running, and I can connect and issue SQL commands using the CLI. SSH is working, and I can connect from my other computer to log into this one.

So it looks as though the problem is between MySQL Workbench and MariaDB.

The chatter on the internet indicates that MySQL Workbench stopped working with MariaDB years ago. I cannot find in the repository any of the alternative GUI clients mentioned online. I cannot find in the repository any way to install MySQL itself to see if the workbench will work with that engine. It appears that it has been completely replaced by MariaDB in the distro.

Is this really broken in Beta? Or have I fat-fingered the setup somehow?

Is this going to present a problem for the distribution after release?

Any bugs in the pipeline?

Edit: I did find a related bug reported in 2015, but this is a slightly different problem. This seems to have been broken for a long time.

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17192

Thanks,
Banjo
(_)=='=~
banjo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 14th, '19, 16:24

banjo wrote:Edit: I did find a related bug reported in 2015, but this is a slightly different problem. This seems to have been broken for a long time.

https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17192

Could very well be still the same issue at its core. You could try one of the latest 8.x versions from https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/

For some alternatives, check https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mysql ... placement/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby banjo » Apr 14th, '19, 18:24

Doktor5000,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at that list of alternative GUI clients. Many of them are for Windows, and I could not find any of the portable ones in the Mageia repositories. I didn't look for all of them, but the ones I looked for were not there.

I will look at the MySQL packages, but I am reluctant to install software that is outside of the repositories. It also seems to be difficult to replace MariaDB on the system since many things depend on it. I'm not sure how much I would break trying to install an outside version.

I guess MySQL Workbench is not a very heavily used tool since the bug is very old and I have seen few complaints about it.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
banjo

Postby doktor5000 » Apr 16th, '19, 19:06

banjo wrote:I will look at the MySQL packages, but I am reluctant to install software that is outside of the repositories. It also seems to be difficult to replace MariaDB on the system since many things depend on it.

FWIW, I didn't mean to replace all MariaDB packages with MySQL, only install MySQL workbench from source. You could also try the other available RPM packages there ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby banjo » Apr 16th, '19, 19:41

Thanks for the clarification. I may try building the Workbench later just to see if it fixes the problem.
banjo

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron