MGA7b2 does not support Radeon 3000

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

MGA7b2 does not support Radeon 3000

Postby babydoc » Mar 20th, '19, 22:57

MGA6 runs well on my ASUS MB with Radeon graphics chip 3000, but MGA7b2 does not. It only gives resolution of 640 x480. I was told that the people upstreem who develop Plasma did not include support for older Radeon chips. All of this is above my pay grade, but will you ever provide support for my older Radeon 3000 which works in MGA6?
babydoc

Re: MGA7b2 does not support Radeon 3000

Postby martinw » Mar 24th, '19, 19:54

I would expect that graphics chip to still be supported, although you might be better off using a lightweight DE rather than Plasma. Please attach a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see what the X driver is doing.
martinw

Postby babydoc » Mar 26th, '19, 00:26

Thank you for your suggestion. When I started using Mageia I was told it was one of the easiest distros for a newbie, and that, in general, Linux was an OS designed to be full featured and to run well on less that cutting edge hardware. If I can run´t MGA7 on this MB with its Radeon chip, then I will retire the computer and use a less old one the works. I guess this topic is closed.
babydoc

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 26th, '19, 01:08

Well, did you try any of the other desktop environments (which are usually also full-featured) to see whether they exhibit the same issue?
Or would it be possible to at least attach a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log so others could maybe at least get an idea what the issue might be on your system?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby babydoc » Mar 28th, '19, 21:49

Amazingly, MGA7b2 runs under Gnome desktop with the Radeon default driver, but Firefox has a big problem (a problem for another day). Also, If I install MGA7b2 and don't try to change any of the graphics settings, it runs with graphics card Custom and monitor Custom and gives a useful higher resolution. As soon as I try to fiddle with the graphics settings it reverts to the Radeon 4870 or earlier driver and give a puny resolution of 480 x 320.

I don't know how to access the log file you requested.

I can't do any more with this problem until I have fixed a MB hardware problem.
babydoc

Postby benmc » Mar 29th, '19, 03:19

babydoc wrote:I don't know how to access the log file you requested.

use your file browser (Files in Gnome) and have a look in root (may be called system) or just labelled /. (not in Mageia or Gnome at the mo')

then just click through the directories 'var', then 'log', and you should find a file called Xorg.0.log.
now that you know where to find it,
just attach it here, using the "upload attachment" tab below 'save as draft, preview, and submit' buttons, and click 'Browse' and navigate to the same place, click on it and then 'add file'
benmc

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron