[SOLVED]XFdrake throws error installing Nvidia driver

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

[SOLVED]XFdrake throws error installing Nvidia driver

Postby banjo » Dec 24th, '18, 19:07

I have a newly installed, up to date Mageia 7 beta that I am testing. The default graphics driver, nouveau, is taking a nutty sometimes, displaying torn screens and blinking windows. So I am attempting to install the nvidia drivers for my graphics card. The installation of the driver says that it was successful, but XFdrake throws an error when I push the test button. The inxi output is:

Code: Select all
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] driver: nouveau v: kernel
           Display: x11 server: Mageia X.org 1.20.3 driver: nouveau,v4l resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A 

The driver I chose is "GeForce 8100 to GeForce 415", which according to the Mageia 5 Release notes covers my card "nvidia340 for Geforce 8xxx, 9xxx and 100 to 415 cards"

XFdrakeCard.png
The Card Driver I chose
XFdrakeCard.png (26.19 KiB) Viewed 3214 times

Here is the output from the XFdrake install.

# XFdrake
Too late to run INIT block at /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 257.
Ignore the following Glib::Object::Introspection & Gtk3 warnings
Subroutine Gtk3::main redefined at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Gtk3.pm line 525.
Ignore the following Glib::Object::Introspection & Gtk3 warnings
getting exclusive lock on rpm
getting lock on urpmi
using mirror http://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/mageia/distrib/cauldron/x86_64
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Core Release/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Core Updates/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree Release/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree Updates/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Tainted Release/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree 32bit Release/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/Nonfree 32bit Updates/synthesis.hdlist.cz]
To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed:
=> ok(auto)

retrieving rpm files from medium "Nonfree Release"...
    $MIRRORLIST: media/nonfree/release/dkms-nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm
retrieved $MIRRORLIST media/nonfree/release dkms-nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm
...retrieving done
installing x11-driver-video-nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm nvidia340-doc-html-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm dkms-nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
starting installing packages
created transaction for installing on / (remove=0, install=0, upgrade=3)

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/nvidia340/340.107-2.mga7.nonfree/source ->
                 /usr/src/nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree

DKMS: add Completed.

Preparing kernel 4.19.12-desktop-2.mga7 for module build:
(This is not compiling a kernel, just preparing kernel symbols)
Storing current .config to be restored when complete
Running Generic preparation routine
make mrproper......
using /proc/config.gz
make oldconfig....(bad exit status: 2)
make prepare....(bad exit status: 2)

Building module:
cleaning build area....
'make' -j2 SYSSRC=/lib/modules/4.19.12-desktop-2.mga7/build module; 'make' -j2 SYSSRC=/lib/modules/4.19.12-desktop-2.mga7/build -C uvm module KBUILD_EXTMOD=/var/lib/dkms/nvidia340/340.107-2.mga7.nonfree/build/uvm...................
cleaning build area....
cleaning kernel tree (make mrproper).....

DKMS: build Completed.

nvidia340.ko.xz:
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/4.19.12-desktop-2.mga7/dkms/drivers/char/drm/

nvidia-uvm.ko.xz:
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/4.19.12-desktop-2.mga7/dkms/drivers/char/drm/

depmod......

DKMS: install Completed.
removing installed rpms (x11-driver-video-nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm nvidia340-doc-html-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm dkms-nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64.rpm) from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
----------------------------------------------------------------------
More information on package x11-driver-video-nvidia340-340.107-2.mga7.nonfree.x86_64
This driver is for GeForce 8xxx, 9xxx and 100 to 415 cards.

Use XFdrake to configure X to use the correct NVIDIA driver. Any needed
packages will be automatically installed if not already present.
1. Run XFdrake as root.
2. Go to the Graphics Card list.
3. Select your card (it is usually already autoselected).
4. Answer any questions asked and then quit.

If you do not want to use XFdrake, see README.manual-setup.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
unlocking urpmi database
unlocking rpm database

Once the installation is done, I am presented with the XFdrake GUI again.

XFdrakeGUI.png
The XFdrake GUI
XFdrakeGUI.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 3214 times

When I push the Test button, the screen goes black and then comes back with the error shown below.

XFdrakeError.png
The Error Dialog
XFdrakeError.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 3214 times

Changing the options for the card did not help. It continues to throw the same error.

I did not accept the driver into xorg.conf since I do not know how to recover should the driver not work on reboot. So I cancelled and I am still using the nouveau driver.

I have also tested the driver in the MCC => Hardware =>"Set up the graphical server". It finds the driver, and when I click the Test button there I get a white screen with a countdown timer that restores the display after a few seconds. I presume that a white screen is not the correct response.

Can anybody clue me in on how to trouble shoot this? Since the computer is my test bed for Mageia 7 beta, not a mainstream box, I am more interested in understanding how this works than I am in just getting it to work.

Thanks
Banjo
(_)=='=~
Last edited by banjo on Dec 28th, '18, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo

Re: XFdrake throws error installing Nvidia driver

Postby martinw » Dec 24th, '18, 21:22

Since much of the low-level graphics support was moved into the Linux kernel, it has not been possible to test changing the graphics driver without a reboot. XFdrake really needs to be modified to disable the Test button after you change driver (you're not the first person to trip over this). You can still test changes to screen resolution, etc., so the Test button is not completely useless.

If things do go wrong, either switch to another virtual tty (e.g. by Ctrl-Alt-F2) or reboot to run level 3, login as root, and run XFdrake from the command line to switch back to the nouveau driver. The text-mode interface to the drakx tools is a little awkward to use, but it does work.
martinw

Postby banjo » Dec 24th, '18, 22:06

Thanks for the quick response. I will give it a try next time I am on the test computer.
banjo

Postby benmc » Dec 25th, '18, 21:58

hi Banjo,

check also that you have installed also:

kernel-??????-devel-latest
dkms-minimal
dkms-nvidia340

the ?????? is for your kernel type (server, desktop, tmb, linus etc)
benmc

Postby banjo » Dec 25th, '18, 23:34

I have not been back at it since my last post. Holidays and all.

What I have is an up-to-date Mageia 7 beta. Regular desktop system. I did the major upgrade yesterday, 254 packages. So I'm not sure what is on the system now. :o Plasma looks different. It displays a huge on-screen keyboard across the login screen whenever I edit the password field, that sort of stuff. The joys of running beta.

I will take a look tomorrow. I might just try the reboot after accepting the driver and see what happens. I was able to boot and log in at runlevel 3, so I am more comfortable with that than I was.

Thanks,
Banjo
(_)=='=~
banjo

Postby benmc » Dec 26th, '18, 01:36

those packages should have been installed when you chose the nvidia driver via XFdrake, they would not normally be included in an install.
dkms will build the nvidia driver module for your kernel (it needs stuff from the -devel kernel) and install it during 1st boot after nvidia install (and any subsequent kernel or nvidia updates)

happy holidays
benmc

Postby banjo » Dec 26th, '18, 01:58

Looking at the log that I posted, it looks like those packages were installed.

Tomorrow I will install the driver and reboot to see what happens. The purpose of that computer is to give me a platform to dig into these issues in more detail than I have in the past, so it is serving its purpose even if I trash it.

I think that the error thrown by the Test button is a real issue because most folks trying to do this are not steeped in the details, so there is little option at that point but to bail out on the Nvidia driver. Is there a bug filed along these lines that you know of? It is more of a user interface bug than a technical bug.
banjo

Postby banjo » Dec 26th, '18, 19:58

Update:
I installed the latest updates from Mageia 7 beta. Then I used XFdrake to select the Nvidia driver as the default. I crossed my fingers and rebooted. Now the computer stops booting at a grub command line. :(

I went into the BIOS, and the disk is still there as normal. But when I exit from the BIOS, it goes immediately to the grub prompt:

grub>

In this installation, grub posts a graphical boot menu. I am assuming that the Nvidia driver does not work and that grub is trying to post its graphical menu and failing, so it falls back to doing nothing..... but I don't know that for sure. It could be something else that has broken grub.

I tried hooking the monitor up to the onboard VGA output so that I could test my driver theory and boot it from there, but nothing is being sent to that interface at all. I just get a blank screen and "No Signal" from the monitor. I can find nothing in the BIOS settings that will allow me to direct the video to the VGA output. I had to plug the monitor back into the graphics card to even see the BIOS prompts.

At this point I am stuck because I cannot log into Linux at any runlevel by using the grub menu to edit an entry. I have no idea what kind of magical incantations to type into the grub> prompt to get it to do something useful.

The BIOS is able to display the BIOS settings on the card. Grub can display text to the screen. If I can figure out how to get grub to post its boot menu in plain text, I might be able to log in and see if I can fix it. But that is a long shot.

Any pointers or ideas about how to restore this installation would be appreciated. I am on a learning curve here, so I am willing to try stuff to see if I can dig out of this hole manually. The end around run will be to re-install the OS, but I don't want to give up on it quite yet.

"As ye fool around, so shall ye learn".

Thanks
Banjo

Edit: I tried the ls command to look at the disk partitions. See screenshot.

GrubCommandLineIMG_2653.JPG
The Grub command line
GrubCommandLineIMG_2653.JPG (314.04 KiB) Viewed 3157 times

I added partitions 7 and 8 with gparted to dual boot to Mageia7. Partitions 1 and 5 are Mageia 6. Partition 6 is swap, used for both systems. I assumed that they were GPT, but I guess not. Not sure where to go from here.
banjo

Postby benmc » Dec 26th, '18, 21:59

hi Banjo

from bad to worse.... ;)

ok,

the following procedure should help. (you may need to change */grub* to */grub2* as required)
you seem to be sure where your partitions are and which ones are system /.
The important thing to know is which system you want to boot into if you have more than 1.
you have 5, so I'm guessing something like: /bios boot, /swap, /(system1), /(system2), /home, /data.
do you have a Live handy to determine the partition(s) that have /boot/grub (or grub2) on them?

already done the *grub ls* to determine the partition layout (msdos) and all partitions.

set prefix=(hd0,msdosx)/boot/grub   
set root=(hd0,msdosx)
insmod normal
normal
(where x= partition that has / on it and that /boot/grub or /grub2 directory)

this should restore the normal grub boot menu for one time only.

after you can get to a tty, login as root and run

# update-grub  (or update-grub2)

you should now be able to reboot to your normal grub menu
benmc

Postby banjo » Dec 26th, '18, 22:59

Thanks for the quick reply. I do seem to be digging a deep hole. :oops:

There is one disk in the computer. It is partitioned to boot Mageia 6 using sda1 as /, sda5 as swap, and sda6 for /home. I repartitioned to boot Mageia 7 as a second system using sda7 for /, sda5 for swap, and sda8 for /home. I carefully wrote those down just in case. 8-) . Grub should boot from the MBR on /dev/sda since that is the only disk there is.

I did manage to get the system to boot through several retries. I used some suggestions that I found on the web. At the grub prompt I entered the commands shown in the image below:

GrubBootSequence-IMG_2655.JPG
Manual boot commands
GrubBootSequence-IMG_2655.JPG (151.3 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

When it booted up, it posted the following error message:

GrubBootSequence-IMG_2656.JPG
The Error Message
GrubBootSequence-IMG_2656.JPG (80.23 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

And fail it did

I'm not sure what all that means, but it might explain why the Nvidia driver did not work in the first place.

Anyway, I did get a command line tty. I logged in as root and copied the old /etc/X11/xorg.conf over the new one. Then I rebooted again.

The grub menu still did not come up, so I rebooted again manually from the grub> prompt. At that boot, xorg ran, but the display is seriously bad with blinking and unpainted damage areas on the screen.

GrubBootSequence-IMG_2666.JPG
Messed up display
GrubBootSequence-IMG_2666.JPG (178.17 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

So I ran XFdrake (barely) and selected the nouveau directly as the "card". Then I rebooted again, and the display was seriously worse. I got a tty shell again and copied the old /etc/X11/xorg.conf over the latest one again and rebooted.

It now reboots graphically, but the graphics are so messed up that it is unusable. I don't know what pieces I have left out copying these files around, or how to get it back to its original state before I "improved" it.

My next trick will be to see if I can figure out how to set the 'nokmsboot' flag, update-grub, and install the Nvidia driver again. I'm not sure how to do all of that at once without messing it all up again.

Isn't this fun?
(Quick answer: not really) :shock:
banjo

Postby banjo » Dec 28th, '18, 02:45

Well, I fixed it.

As it turns out, if I had known what I was doing when I started, I suspect that it would have just worked automatically. But I got confused and made some mistakes that broke the system. The interface is not the easiest to understand. Here are some confusing parts.

When XFdrake comes up, it preselects the card, but the only button on it says "Quit". It would be better if it said something like "Install". Or "OK". I figured that it had not found my card, so all I could do was Quit or go looking for the correct card. So I went looking for it.

Confusion number 2 was that I did not see my card in the list. In fact, the list does not contain cards, but rather driver packages. So I took a guess and selected the wrong one. I only later found out the correct selection on the Mageia 5 release notes. So I started out installing the wrong package. Once I had installed the wrong one, it would not let me install the right one. I had to uninstall all of the Nvidia drivers and start over.

Once I figured all that out, the error on the Test button threw me off track, and I tried to put it back the way it was. That just made a bigger mess, and the graphics didn't work at all anymore.

I think that my biggest mistake was to cancel out one of the installations. It looked like XFdrake had hung up. It takes a long time to finish updating things. So I handed it a Ctrl-C to get out of it. Big mistake. I think that is why grub got hosed.

Anyway, I think that the system would have worked fine if I had simply clicked Quit, OK. OK, etc and then rebooted. In case anyone else does this to themselves, I am posting what I did to fix it.

I got the computer to a bootable state as I described in my previous post by booting manually from grub and restoring the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. So I booted it up and went directly into a command shell, Ctrl-Alt-F5. I logged in as root and ran XFdrake.

Rescue-IMG_2673.jpg
XFdrake running curses
Rescue-IMG_2673.jpg (118.91 KiB) Viewed 3127 times

It has found the driver for my card, and it still only has the Quit button. I went through the steps to install the driver, and I waited all the way until the end this time. :oops:

Then I edited the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add nokmsboot to the list of arguments. However, it was already there.

Rescue-IMG_2684.jpg
Contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Rescue-IMG_2684.jpg (169.42 KiB) Viewed 3127 times

At that point it all looked correct, so just to be extra sure, I ran update-grub.

Rescue-IMG_2687.jpg
Update-grub output
Rescue-IMG_2687.jpg (254.79 KiB) Viewed 3127 times

After that, I rebooted and it came up working.

So, XFdrake did the right thing and put nokmsboot in the grub.conf file. I suspect that the one time I bailed out of the program with Ctrl-C I cut it off from updating grub. Then, the Nvidia driver didn't work. That is my guess. There were no update-grub messages coming out to the console when I cancelled. Some feedback that it was still working would be nice.

Anyway, it is working now using the Nvidia drivers, and I know a heck of a lot more than I used to about the boot sequence.

Many thanks to all who helped me through this mess.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
banjo

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron