glxinfo reporting wrong opengl version [SOLVED]

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

glxinfo reporting wrong opengl version [SOLVED]

Postby hansmicheelsen » Oct 27th, '17, 19:03

I have a problem with my AMD Radeon HD 7770 graphics card. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series it should be able to run opengl 4.5. But glxinfo reports a meager 2.1 (see below)
The problem arose when I installed the HD 7770 card instead of an older 7570 card.
I have tried everything and also other things to get a higher opengl performance. But in vain. Can anybody please help me to a solution to my problem.
What I did try was fiddling around with xorg.conf, changing DRI versions and various Drivers (radeon, ati). Is there a way to get the installed Mageia to resaearch for installed graphics cards?

Code: Select all
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.8-desktop-1.mga7, LLVM 4.0.1)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 17.2.3
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16

From less /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    BoardName "ATI Radeon HD 6400 and later (radeon/fglrx)"
    Driver "ati"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X] [1002:683d]
        Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Device [1682:3231]
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
Last edited by hansmicheelsen on Oct 30th, '17, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
hansmicheelsen

Re: glxinfo reporting wrong opengl version

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 28th, '17, 00:51

You're using the opensource ati driver, and only MESA which is software-accelerated OpenGL.

You would need to change to the proprietary fglrx driver via drakx11: http://doc.mageia.org/mcc/6/en/content/XFdrake.html
This is also described in the wiki: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Setup_the_graphical_server
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby hansmicheelsen » Oct 28th, '17, 01:57

Oh, I thought that was in the very old days. The proprietary AMD drivers are not available to Mageia anymore. At least they are not supported and delivered by Mageia. And I never ever succeeded installing them directly from AMD.
I thought there were open source drivers for ati nowadays. Or is that only AMDGPU?
hansmicheelsen

Postby hansmicheelsen » Oct 28th, '17, 01:58

Sorry, I realize now that this question should not have been posted under Testing, but under Advanced Support
hansmicheelsen

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 28th, '17, 02:51

hansmicheelsen wrote:The proprietary AMD drivers are not available to Mageia anymore. At least they are not supported and delivered by Mageia.

Well, that's because they're not compatible with current X versions, but you didn't really mention which Mageia version you want to run them on.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ITA84 » Oct 28th, '17, 11:25

I just wanted to mention that even with the open source radeon driver, at least on Mageia 6 or Cauldron, you should have OpenGL 3.0 support at the very least (maybe higher, for my Radeon 6490M it's 3.0). The amdgpu driver should support your card, did you give it a try?
ITA84

Postby hansmicheelsen » Oct 28th, '17, 23:48

Exactly my thought. According to mesamatrix.net I should even have at least 3.3.

I'm running Cauldron (I not faint of hearth) and therefore have kernel 4.13.10. According to https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-413-gcn101&num=1 its easy to get GCN 1.0 support with kernel options "radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1" at boot time. I'll experiment with that.

Btw. Isn't lib64drm_radeon1-2.4.85-1.mga7 supposed to give me the open source driver for radeon graphics card with opengl 4.5?
hansmicheelsen

Postby hansmicheelsen » Oct 29th, '17, 23:48

My opengl 4.5 is working again now. I installed the latest update of mesa (mesa-17.2.3-4.mga7) and now I got 4.5 back:
    glxinfo | grep -i open
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.10-desktop-1.mga7, LLVM 4.0.1)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.3
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.3
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 17.2.3
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10

I guess that mesa installation triggers a rescan of graphics cards or something. Do anybody know how that works?
hansmicheelsen

Postby hansmicheelsen » Oct 30th, '17, 01:32

And now I've got amdgpu working. Also OpenGL 4.5 (as expected).

Added kernel options "radeon.si_support=0 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.cik_support=1" at boot time
blacklisted radeon
changed to Driver "amdgpu" in xorg.conf
hansmicheelsen

Postby doktor5000 » Oct 30th, '17, 02:02

hansmicheelsen wrote:I guess that mesa installation triggers a rescan of graphics cards or something. Do anybody know how that works?

No it doesn't, there is no rescan necessary. There probably was just a bug with mesa and now its gone.
----
doktor5000

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron