Uprading Mageia 8 to Cauldron fails [Solved]

This forum is dedicated to testing early releases and cauldron : Howtos, tips, tricks and user global feedback and thoughts...

Helpful tip :
For bugs tracking we use : https://bugs.mageia.org = The Mageia Bug Tracker
In this bug tracker you'll find already reported bugs and you'll be able to report those you have found....

Uprading Mageia 8 to Cauldron fails [Solved]

Postby Plisgyn » Jan 7th, '22, 13:48

When trying to update Mageia 8 ( fully updated ) to Cauldron it fails saying the rpm database is corrupt. I deleted and recreated it but I cannot seems to get past this point any ideas welcome.
Last edited by Plisgyn on Feb 13th, '22, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
Plisgyn

Re: Uprading Mageia 8 to Cauldron fails

Postby sturmvogel » Jan 7th, '22, 14:05

Could you please post the complete error message so that we can help you better?

Under Mageia 8, with Mageia 8 mirrors:

Code: Select all
 su -c 'urpmi --clean'

Code: Select all
su -c 'urpmi --auto-update --auto --force'

Make sure that 'perl-URPM-5.222-1.mga8' is installed. Maybe you got caught by this bug https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29725

But without further information from you it's hard to guess. How did you try to fix the database? Did you follow this steps: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Comando_URPMI#Troubleshooting
Where does this bug occur? Whilst exchange of the mirrors or at which point of the upgrade process? Issued command that lead to the error message?
sturmvogel

Postby morgano » Jan 7th, '22, 16:48

Also, what method did you use for upgrading?
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby Plisgyn » Jan 7th, '22, 17:26

The downloaded Mageia-Cauldron-netinstall-nonfree-x86_64.iso is run from USB using Ventoy

It fails --
Preparing to Up-Grade
a fatal error occurred: unable to open rpmdb(9)

An error occurred
can't call method "create_transaction" on an undefined value

su -c 'urpmi --clean' and su -c 'urpmi --auto-update --auto --force' show no errors

perl-URPM-5.222-1.mga8 is installed

rpm database rebuilt with rpm --rebuilddb

Using a spare disk I copied my current mageia 8 to it and managed an installation with the same iso by keeping my home directory and overwriting the root partition, this worked o/k. Being able to upgrade would be a lot easier.
Plisgyn

Postby sturmvogel » Jan 7th, '22, 17:39

Uuuuh, why do you try to upgrade/install it via an installer? The isos might not be ready for upgrading yet, only for installation.

This is the official way to upgrade an existing Mageia 8 installation to cauldron:
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Cauldron
sturmvogel

Postby benmc » Jan 7th, '22, 22:30

Plisgyn wrote:Preparing to Up-Grade
a fatal error occurred: unable to open rpmdb(9)

this is correct, cauldron is used as a playground for the devs, and if something breaks, it is at their discretion as to repair or ignore and work around it.
it appears for the moment that they are choosing to ingore it, so you must work around it, which is to reinstall via netinstall and online repos.

"Release" is a snapshot of "Cauldron", usually from a short period before release
When Mga9 is proposed, as upgrading from Mga8 to Mga9 is one of the many things needed to achieve, it will be attended to.

As a caveat, the instructions to upgrade from release to cauldron should only be followed for a short time after release, as effectively the two rpm streams are over 2 months apart at release, and there can be significant differences between them .
If you are planning to use Cauldron, it is recommended that you subscribe to the appropriate mailing list => https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mailing_list ... ling_lists to keep abreast of problems that may occur
benmc

Postby Plisgyn » Jan 8th, '22, 11:03

I only tried Cauldron on a spare disk to see if the problem I raised about my Samsung ML-2240 printer was resolved, which it appears to have been. I will try the recommended methods.
Plisgyn

Postby Plisgyn » Jan 8th, '22, 12:15

Now have upgraded to Cauldron o/k.
Plisgyn

Return to Testing : Alpha, Beta, RC and Cauldron