Contributing - Spreading the news with Mageia logos

This forum is dedicated to people who consider becoming contributors :
-- Packaging & translating,
-- Support,
-- Spreading Mageia,
-- And many others options you have to help.

Re: Contributing - Spreading the news with Mageia logos

Postby marja » Feb 28th, '12, 13:04

Oh, the forum works different than Bugzilla, it doesn't give a message when you start replying in a thread, and in the meantime someone replied after you started writing and before you submitted your reply.
marja

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 28th, '12, 14:49

Well, it should give it, this is just a question of configuration.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Feb 28th, '12, 16:15

marja wrote:Well, by using them you can distinguish between users, contributors and developers.
But of course, when someone doesn't update his graphic when moving from one group to another, it doesn't work :oops:

Nice try, especially seeing your sig as proof :) Anyhow, my remark was just from a general point of view. As for myself I read this forum here without signatures activated, so it makes no difference to me.

But while still chuckling a question formed itself: when are you moving from "user" to "contributor"? Are we not telling in all our blogs and forum posts and even conferences, that with Mageia, everybody is a contributor - as soon as he starts giving feedback, discussing in the forum, sending in a nice wallpaper, reporting a bug, etc. ? So where is that point you mention with: moving from one group to another?

I don't like this "user" tag at all. For those who actually do a lot (like you! :) ) this tag would be misleading and hiding. For others it could mean an excuse like "I can't do anything, I'm a mere user" - which is wrong by principle, as we all know.

I think for identifying people in the forum maât created these special groups, so people can identify others and contact them,etc.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby marja » Feb 28th, '12, 18:30

wobo wrote:
marja wrote:Well, by using them you can distinguish between users, contributors and developers.
But of course, when someone doesn't update his graphic when moving from one group to another, it doesn't work :oops:

Nice try, especially seeing your sig as proof :) Anyhow, my remark was just from a general point of view. As for myself I read this forum here without signatures activated, so it makes no difference to me.

But while still chuckling a question formed itself: when are you moving from "user" to "contributor"? Are we not telling in all our blogs and forum posts and even conferences, that with Mageia, everybody is a contributor - as soon as he starts giving feedback, discussing in the forum, sending in a nice wallpaper, reporting a bug, etc. ? So where is that point you mention with: moving from one group to another?

I don't like this "user" tag at all. For those who actually do a lot (like you! :) ) this tag would be misleading and hiding. For others it could mean an excuse like "I can't do anything, I'm a mere user" - which is wrong by principle, as we all know.

I think for identifying people in the forum maât created these special groups, so people can identify others and contact them,etc.

You convinced me, I removed my signature 8-)

The groups Maât created seem nice and useful to me, but I understood not everyone shares my opinion.
marja

Postby wobo » Feb 28th, '12, 19:03

To say it again: For use everywhere else outside of this forum I think this sig is a brilliant idea and there I don't mind everybody using the terminus "user" (that's what we all are, n'est-ce pas?). LIke the "I drive Ford" bumper sticker of a Ford MoCo chief designer. :)
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby marja » Feb 28th, '12, 19:11

wobo wrote:To say it again: For use everywhere else outside of this forum I think this sig is a brilliant idea and there I don't mind everybody using the terminus "user" (that's what we all are, n'est-ce pas?). LIke the "I drive Ford" bumper sticker of a Ford MoCo chief designer. :)

I understood that, I'm still using it in the MCNL forum ;)
marja

Postby loqo » Mar 18th, '12, 12:34

@wobo> I really like your thinking on this subject!
loqo

Previous

Return to Basic questions about contribution