[SOLVED] How much time is needed to contribute?

This forum is dedicated to people who consider becoming contributors :
-- Packaging & translating,
-- Support,
-- Spreading Mageia,
-- And many others options you have to help.

[SOLVED] How much time is needed to contribute?

Postby Trikki » Jun 26th, '14, 21:58

I have for a long time thought about contributing in some way or another to Mageia, but the main issue has always been time. So now I ask: How much time I would need to have to actually do something useful? I am very interested specially about the QA team, as I think that it is very important.

My problem with time is that because of my work I sometimes might not have time to contribute at all in as long as some weeks at a time and sometimes I might have much more time. So would I be of any use to the team with this sort of changing amount of time to invest? And mainly a realistic guess would be that I only would have time during weekends. So would this sort of 1 or 2 days a week (for a few hours a day) be of any use to the project?
Last edited by Trikki on Jun 29th, '14, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Trikki

Re: How much time is needed to contribute?

Postby ozky » Jun 26th, '14, 22:04

You should read qa team page in mageia wiki to find out more.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team_portal
Mageia user
ozky

Postby jkerr82508 » Jun 27th, '14, 01:01

Trikki wrote:So would this sort of 1 or 2 days a week (for a few hours a day) be of any use to the project?

I'm not a member of the QA team, but the answer, I'm certain, is a very definite Yes.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby isadora » Jun 27th, '14, 07:03

As Jim already said, a definite YES.
This was recently underlined by the team leaders' announcement:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7938
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby Latte » Jun 28th, '14, 11:41

Trikki wrote: because of my work I sometimes might not have time to contribute at all in as long as some weeks at a time and sometimes I might have much more time.

Hi Trikki,
this is the same for me. Sometimes I have some time, (but unfortunately it's getting less and less... :? ) and then I try to test some update candidates to be pushed or translate some strings, but then I have no time for weeks... But every update candidates is getting pushed to updates is one less on the list, so Mageia benefits from it. Of course a more steady present would be more beneficial but I can't and so I do what I can.
So if you have some time to participating in QA, please do so! It's much appreciated by the entire community. You see the wiki links above, so the best way to join is to sign on the qa-discuss mailing list and say hello..

greetings,
Marc
Latte

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 28th, '14, 13:45

Totally apart from that, there are many other areas where you can help even with a little time.
You're good at artwork? Check out the Atelier team.
You're good at proofreading and writing documentation? Check out the Doc team.
You're good at translating? Check the various i18n teams.

Good overview: https://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Trikki » Jun 29th, '14, 20:20

Thank you all for your answers!

I have read much of the QA wiki and also some of the mailing lists during this weekend. It has been really interesting, and I think I now have a much more clearer picture of how much time is needed to do such a task. Unfortunately it seems to me that the effort and time needed is much more than I can at this moment offer. And also to be quite honest I am afraid that it is a bit over my current skill level (I would have to learn very quickly some basic things that are all new to me, to even get started).

But as doktor5000 pointed out there is always something to do, and I think that documentation or proofreading or something else might be more better suited for me. I need to check out all the other teams wikis also.

Finding out about these things really makes me apreciate even more the work that all the Mageia teams do: A big thank you to all of you!
Trikki

Re: [SOLVED] How much time is needed to contribute?

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 29th, '14, 20:27

If you have further questions about contribution, or the various teams or if you don't find something on the wiki, just ask :)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic questions about contribution