Development of Chroot mageia distro to suit ARM chromebook

This forum is dedicated to people who consider becoming contributors :
-- Packaging & translating,
-- Support,
-- Spreading Mageia,
-- And many others options you have to help.

Re: Development of Chroot mageia distro to suit ARM chromebo

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 28th, '15, 02:37

For the arm x86 thing yould should maybe start a new thread ...

FWIW, in the meantime there has been pretty much going on regarding the Mageia ARM port.
We got two ARM build nodes added to the Mageia buildsystem:
[council] New ARM server
[sysadmin-discuss] welcome to our new ARM server
[sysadmin-discuss] armagnac is now live

IIRC, armv5tl basesystem and its buildrequires, including Qt4, Gtk2/Gtk3 have already been rebuilt in cauldron.
The ARM port has also been added as a feature targeting Mageia 6: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:ARM_Port

See also https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Installing_M ... OS_devices which has been updated often in the meantime.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby waferhead » Dec 28th, '15, 05:51

Cool, that Chromebox procedure is likely top work on this chromebook, as the factory developer mode seabios appears borked.
waferhead

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 27th, '16, 12:30

FWIW, the armv5 port is now online and available via all mirrors. For now see the announcement on -dev mailing list:
[dev] ARMv5 port now online
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby xboxboy » Mar 27th, '16, 14:41

Thanks for the bump Doktor.

I don't currently have access to that Chromebook, but if people are interested I'll help see if we can get the latest and greatest version working. We should be able to get a mageia install 'unofficially' loaded and update the chroot settings via crouton. Achieving magiea acceptance officially into crouton posed quite a challenge for my amatuer bash script levels.

I have a couple of other arm devices I'll be trying to get mageia on.
xboxboy

Postby jiml8 » Mar 27th, '16, 20:23

I am presently heavily involved with an ARM port of a FreeBSD product we are developing and selling, and I have learned some things I did not know before...or, more properly, had not considered at all.
Basically, none of the ARM products out there have a BIOS. Thus, all the basic gruntwork that is done by a BIOS on x86 platforms has to be done by the OS in an ARM system. This makes ports very system specific and involves a lot of extra work (usually in assembler) that is not necessary in the x86 environment.
So, porting Mageia to ARM is something that must be done board by board. I'm thinking the best way to go about it would be to port over the board-specific code from some version of Linux that has already been made to run on that ARM board.
jiml8

Postby xboxboy » Mar 28th, '16, 00:12

Jim, you're 100% right. But things are improving all the time. I recently installed fedora on a mk802ii arm mini pc using their stock installer. Their image ships with a whole heap of boot files so you simply copy the required boot section to the start of the OS disk. It worked flawlessly.

The beauty of that method is now I get full system updates, where as previously I've made images using the original boot system and kernel which means the OS files get updated but not the kernel.
xboxboy

Previous

Return to Basic questions about contribution