Calligra 2.5 repo? - Almost SOLVED

This forum is dedicated to people who consider becoming contributors :
-- Packaging & translating,
-- Support,
-- Spreading Mageia,
-- And many others options you have to help.

Calligra 2.5 repo? - Almost SOLVED

Postby JonnyB » Sep 3rd, '12, 00:00

Hi there,

I'm a former devoted Mandriva user, who went through Kubuntu (unsatisfying) and Chakra (satisfying but bug issues) before in our way "returning to Mageia".

I really like the feel of Mageia, but I have one concern:

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a repo where I could find the latest version of Calligra 2.5 for Mageia 2.

I have found Calligra very promising (I already prefer it for spreadsheets, word pro, vector graphics and paint) but the improvements in Calligra 2.5 are tempting me to get out of Magia, and I just got back!

I'm normally fairly patient, but that's because most apps I use are more mature and the development is less exciting.
Last edited by JonnyB on Sep 14th, '12, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
------ "In winter, one is supposed to be cold."
JonnyB

Re: Calligra 2.5 repo?

Postby tom_ » Sep 3rd, '12, 10:27

Mageia 3 will have calligra 2.5.1 (at least) and the first alpha will be availbale in a few days.

MGA3 is not for regular use (it's an alpha release) but you could try it
tom_

Postby JonnyB » Sep 6th, '12, 04:47

Thanks tom_

That's interesting, I've never strongly considered running Cauldron (or Cooker) before, but it's a consideration now.

I might give compiling Calligra myself a stab too, but I'm more of an end user I think.
JonnyB

update

Postby JonnyB » Sep 14th, '12, 02:29

I've tried building Calligra 2.5, and except for Kexi, everything works (fabulously), except that I still have to enter the following commands in Konsole every time before also loading the programs from Konsole:

export KDEDIRS=/home/j/kde4/inst:$KDEDIRS
export PATH=/home/j/kde4/inst/bin:$PATH
export KDEHOME=/home/j/kde4
export $(dbus-launch)
kbuildsycoca4

If anyone knows what I have to do to make it boot from a menu, I would be grateful for the help. Also would love if someone could guide me in creating RPMs and a Mageia repo so that others might benefit from the effort.

By the way...
It wasn't as hard as I had imagined, and the improvements were worth it for me, but it was of course way harder than installing an RPM. Inspired I went on to build the new version of Qupzilla (which Mageia doesn't package in any version) and Semantik 0.8, and they each boot from the menu even.
JonnyB

Re: Calligra 2.5 repo? - Almost SOLVED

Postby digigold » Nov 13th, '12, 13:56

FWIW, I prefer Calligra to LibreOffice and currently run Calligra 2.5.91-4 with KDE 4.9.2-1 on Cauldron. I haven't had a single issue yet! :)
"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
digigold

Postby yura » Nov 15th, '12, 11:02

Hi all!
Does Calligra works better with documents which were created in MS Office in comparison with LO?
yura

Postby JonnyB » Nov 26th, '12, 06:43

Hi yura,

It's a tricky question.

Actually I think Calligra loads and reproduces MSO documents better than LO...

... but Calligra cannot save documents in MSO formats.

If you do work with MSO users, they need to install Open Document filters (but in my world, they do, so I'm fine.)

To me, this is the only real drawback of Calligra presently. Other than MSO saving, just like digigold, I vastly prefer Calligra over LO. LO is based on the ancient MSO paradigm from a time when computers didn't have enough memory to load both a word processor and a spreadsheet. All due respect to LO, it is succeeding perfectly at being a drop-in replacement for the ancient paradigm, but I agree implicitly with the Calligra concept that productivity software generally was due for a re-think.

I'm strongly considering running Cauldron so I can get the Calligra 2.6 betas without having to compile them myself...
Last edited by JonnyB on Nov 26th, '12, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
JonnyB

Postby JonnyB » Nov 26th, '12, 06:45

digigold wrote:FWIW, I prefer Calligra to LibreOffice and currently run Calligra 2.5.91-4 with KDE 4.9.2-1 on Cauldron. I haven't had a single issue yet! :)

Does WINE work in Cauldron? I need to have Sketchup for my work.
JonnyB

Postby digigold » Nov 28th, '12, 09:10

JonnyB wrote:Does WINE work in Cauldron? I need to have Sketchup for my work.

I have wine installed in Cauldron and it seems to run just fine. (As fine as wine can anyways.) I try to avoid wine when possible and haven't tested any 64bit apps in wine but all the 32bit apps I have needed to use run fine. I am currently running WINE 1.5.18-1 w/KDE 4.9.80-1 on the 3.6.5-desktop-1 kernel.
"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
digigold

Return to Basic questions about contribution