how can I learn more about mageia so I can contribute more

This forum is dedicated to people who consider becoming contributors :
-- Packaging & translating,
-- Support,
-- Spreading Mageia,
-- And many others options you have to help.

how can I learn more about mageia so I can contribute more

Postby Voodoo » Jul 10th, '12, 10:19

Greetings I am voodoo, I want to say hi and hope we can be friends.

Obviously I have little skills at the moment. I can use command line, urpmi etc and follow basic instructions my linux skillz are still very weak.

I know to keep growing in knowledge I need to try involve myself contributing here if I am allowed and I don't know cos i've never been much a part of any linux community. I started a couple years ago setting up ubuntu on a mates computer then moved to a few different distros ending up at mandriva and now here. Also sure I see people from the mandriva forum around here which makes sense, guessing they are the people that built it?

So mageia is a great system to me and I want to get in here early while number 2 is out cos it looks like its growing fast already. My question about contributing is what would I have to read that people would recommend me to read to get better skills with mageia and be more helpful around here. Obviously I already have alot of books linux related but if people could list their references I definitely will read whats online, (amazon as I can afford).

=> Awesome to meet you whoever u are. :)

voodoo, New Zealand.
Last edited by Voodoo on Aug 26th, '12, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
rip steve jobs
Voodoo

Re: how can I learn more about mageia so I can contribute mo

Postby jkerr82508 » Jul 10th, '12, 12:42

I've never read any text book on Linux and so have no recommendations on that. I'm sure that other forum members will have.

However, you don't need to be an expert to contribute. Have a look here at the opportunities available:

http://www.mageia.org/en/contribute/
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Contributing

Every contribution is welcomed.

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby Max » Jul 10th, '12, 18:14

A good way to start that requires very little skills is by joining the QA team.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team_portal
Welcome aboard!
Max

Postby JonnyB » Sep 14th, '12, 03:18

Hi Voodoo,

I'm no expert, but I found building packages an educational sort-of first step. Let me know and I can tell you what I tried.
------ "In winter, one is supposed to be cold."
JonnyB

Postby widget » Sep 26th, '12, 07:34

Max wrote:A good way to start that requires very little skills is by joining the QA team.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team_portal
Welcome aboard!

I would really like to second this suggestion. There are a lot of things that need tested.

Anyone can test an ISO. Not very glamourous but has to be done. This will insure that the thing will work on, at least, your hardware when a new release is released. They need tested on as much different hardware as possible. It would be really hard to have too many people doing ISO testing.

If you have a small partition that you can actually install the ISO on it would be great. 6 gigs would do it quite easily and you don't need to keep it. If you do not have a place to install it there is still a need to know if it will simply boot. Do the menu options work? Does the Live Session work?

They also have need for package testing for updates in stable versions of Mageia. There are lots of things you could do. Take a look at the wiki page.

You will learn a lot about Linux doing any kind of testing. If you can install the cauldron release you will probably learn more.

You will meet some interesting people too.

It is also FUN.
Self Box 1, Asus M5 A99FX Pro R2.0 MB, AMD FX 6-core FX 6300 3.5GHz, 8 gigs ram, Radeon HD 6450, antique Audigy audeo card. 4 internal drives (3 500gig and one 320 gig). Currently only one 500gig external.
widget

Postby dinad578 » Aug 11th, '14, 08:34

I want to contribute something useful packages. Since I am working related to education and accounting, mostly my sources for reference are education related. So I plan to build packages related to accounting which would be useful for accounting people. I am trying to learn more about it.
dinad578

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '14, 13:15

If you have questions, feel free to open a separate thread. You may have noticed that the last post in this thread is nearly two years old ... ;)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Basic questions about contribution