Legacy USB devices, UEFI and Linux

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Legacy USB devices, UEFI and Linux

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 18th, '15, 17:29

Hello,

I have a question that may not be explictly related to Mageia, but Linux in general.
I'm still asking here because MGA is one of the distros I tried to install on a new computer, and it fails similar to other distros.

So, I planned to build a new HTPC. My hardware is Haswell based CPU, and of course a mainboard comes nowadays with UEFI BIOS.
My first mainboard was an ASROCK, and I just returned it because I was afraid that my USB issues (with mouse/keyboard) were related to broken hardware.
Yesterday, I assembled the 2nd mainboard (now ASUS H97M-Plus), and I have pretty similar issues.

The issues are manyfold, and all are related to USB mouse/keyboard.
1) Mice and keyboards are recognized during POST and work in the BIOS
(unless I deactivate the legacy things completely, which bricked my Asrock mainboard)

2) MGA4:
--> KB works during the text mode of the network installation ISO.
--> There may be a little hickup when switching from text mode to the graphical installer.
This is not always, and when it happened, unplugging/replugging fixed USB.
--> After successful installation, system hangs during "hardware detection" forever and keyboard is not functional.

3) MGA5b2:
--> KB works during text mode of network installer
--> KB/mouse do not work anymore once switched to graphical installer

4) Ubuntu 14.10:
--> KB works during text and graphical installer
--> system boots, but mouse/keyboard not working in login screen

I tried all this with different BIOS settings, and I have no clue what's going on there.
Is this the UEFI reality? -- I mean, things worked for a decade just fine, and now I can't even install a distro?

Any suggestion is appreciated. I'm pretty sure the error is either in a BIOS setting or by me doing something wrong.
I now doubt that the Asrock mainboard was broken, and I doubt that the ASUS one is broken either.

Best regards,
Marcus
mzurhorst

Re: Legacy USB devices, UEFI and Linux

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '15, 19:03

This is not related to UEFI I'd say. For many recent mainboards there are quite some issues with USB devices as they sport some weird default settings and due to the strange integration of USB3 controllers.
I can tell you that it was not funny to get windows to work with my asus z97-pro - sometimes the usb devices would stop working once windows had loaded completely, sometimes they would be detected normally only after a few reboots.
Turns out that this is due to the default boot settings and also due to the settings related to usb and how xhci (usb3 controller) is handled.

Although with linux there were no issues at all, neither in UEFI nor legacy mode.
As you're also using a pretty similar asus mainboard, what BIOS version do you use, and do you still use default settings?
What USB ports do you attach your mouse and keyboard to?

What you should probably change:
Advanced -> Boot -> USB Support -> Full Initialization
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> Intel xHCI mode -> enabled instead of smart mode
Advanced -> USB Configuration -> EHCI Hand-off -> set to disabled

(have to verify some of the settings as I didn't write all of them down)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pete910 » Jan 18th, '15, 19:25

I have the asus z97 sabertooth(desktop) and a Gigabyte h97(server/HTPC). Both work fine in Mageia 4/5 as well as CentOS/Mint

That's out of the box btw, However if you duel boot with windows you need to change the USB setting as windows will fail to see the USB devices after being in Linux. I suppose it could happen the other way too but not had that my self.

UEFI is basically a flashy front end for the bois.

ASrock is a Asus company btw.

To add what dok has all ready said,
Under the USB settings page try switching it from "Smart auto" to just "Auto" on the Asus board

I can take a pic of mine if that helps!

Trouble is that depending on board manufacture depends what they call certain things with regard the settings.

Edit:

Is it a generic KB/mouse you are using?
pete910

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 18th, '15, 19:32

pete910 wrote:UEFI is basically a flashy front end for the bois.

Nitpick: Nope, it's a complete replacement for the BIOS and completely different from BIOS. Check e.g. https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/2 ... work-then/ for more details and a good overview on what UEFI does differently.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby pete910 » Jan 18th, '15, 20:01

doktor5000 wrote:
pete910 wrote:UEFI is basically a flashy front end for the bois.

Nitpick: Nope, it's a complete replacement for the BIOS and completely different from BIOS. Check e.g. https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/2 ... work-then/ for more details and a good overview on what UEFI does differently.

I know that, but as far as the average joe is concerned it is. I did'nt want to confuse the guy/gal even more seen as he/she is stuck on a KB/mouse issue which is why I offered to do some picks ;)

Despite all the bells n whistles that UEFI brings it still a flashy GUI for the BIOS
pete910

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 18th, '15, 22:22

Hello both,

thanks for your help. When UEFI is not the culprit, I am wondering whether I need to return this mainboard as well :o
Ok, let me try to give a better overview about my setup

1) Firmware:
-- I just updated to the latest version (v. 2305, from November 2014) 2 hours ago. The "changelog" said "performance improved" and "stability improved" for the different updates, but for this particular regard, I did not see any different behavior.

2) USB Devices:
-- I have keyboard and mouse attached to the two USB2.0 ports on the I/O panel. I originally hat a wireless kb/mouse with a USB dongle and assumed this was the root cause for my findings. Went to a store and purchase cheap wired devices, which work flawlessly when I attached them to any older computer.
-- Btw, these ones are not working at all when I attach them to a USB3 port on the I/O panel. It seems that they don't even get power. (Is USB3 only for storage, but not for input devices???)

3) UEFI-Settings:
a. I deactivated "fast boot" entirely. Consequently, the partial USB init should not be a concern at all.
b. I have this "CSM" compatibility layer active (default), but "Secure Boot" still says that the status is active either.
From what I understood in e.g Ubuntuusers.de Wiki or Wikipedia, secure boot mode is off as soon as CSM is active. Just wondering.
c. "legacy USB" is set active because I wanted to enforce it. By default, this one was "auto", I think.
d. "Intel xHCI mode" is currently on "smart auto". Will try this with "auto" as well
e. "EHCI Hand-off" is deactivated. Here, I am struggeling with the description in the manual and did not touch it.

It seems that my settings are pretty similar to yours, I don't see a difference.

Just wondering: Is this "secure boot" thing only about the thrusted chain of the OS loading mechanism, or is this also causing side effects like non-functional keyboards?
-- I found a reference (linuxmint wiki this time) about live DVDs which need to be operated in Secure Mode to derive a proper "secure installation", and I am wondering whether all my network image installations have an compatibility issue.
mzurhorst

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 19th, '15, 00:16

Quite some success:
I installed LinuxMint 17.1 from a Live DVD image and had mouse and keyboard working in live mode.
But the actual installation once again did not work. (well, I had a dark grey screen with a functional mouse pointer and nothing more)

When pressing the power button, the system captured this and I now saw a shell, where infite messages like "usb 3-7: device not accepting address. error -71" was displayed.
Wow. Now I started disconnecting cables from the internal USB headers, and the system is booting now with everything working.

This is a mess, because the internal headers belong to the Silverstone HTPC casing and I of course like to have them working. (iMON LCD, some buttons on the casing for play, pause, etc, a large volume wheel)

Good news: does not seem to be related to the mainboard.
Bad news: it seems to be related to the casing, which does not make it better
mzurhorst

Postby jiml8 » Jan 19th, '15, 00:28

For what it is worth (probably not much...) I experience no difficulties at all with USB on my ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard. I think, though I do not recall exactly, that I am using legacy boot rather than UEFI.

In fact, the only USB issues of any sort with any devices (including USB to serial adapters, and USB-connected hardware debuggers of various types) is that I can't get the USB mic on my webcam to work on a Linux virtual machine client using VMware. And I'm sure this issue is not a USB issue, but a conflict with the emulated sound card in VMware.

I very rarely reboot this system, but if it will help I can take a picture of the relevant settings pages in my BIOS the next time I reboot this thing.

Also, if it works when you disconnect internal headers, I suggest you start looking for a defective/shorted cable or USB connector in your case.
jiml8

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 19th, '15, 00:47

mzurhorst wrote:2) USB Devices:
-- I have keyboard and mouse attached to the two USB2.0 ports on the I/O panel.

What does I/O panel mean, directly attached to be mainboard back panel or to the front of your box?

mzurhorst wrote:-- Btw, these ones are not working at all when I attach them to a USB3 port on the I/O panel. It seems that they don't even get power. (Is USB3 only for storage, but not for input devices???)

No, doesn't matter what device you connect - remember, USB3 is backwards compatible. If you have the wrong settings they will not be initialised. That what I said happens here on windows with the wrong settings.
USB keyboard/mouse working in UEFI and bootloader, once windows loads completely the lights turn off and the devices are dead. Sometimes I managed to get one of both working again in 1 of the 10 external USB 2/3 ports.

mzurhorst wrote:b. I have this "CSM" compatibility layer active (default), but "Secure Boot" still says that the status is active either.
From what I understood in e.g Ubuntuusers.de Wiki or Wikipedia, secure boot mode is off as soon as CSM is active. Just wondering.
[...]
Just wondering: Is this "secure boot" thing only about the thrusted chain of the OS loading mechanism, or is this also causing side effects like non-functional keyboards?
-- I found a reference (linuxmint wiki this time) about live DVDs which need to be operated in Secure Mode to derive a proper "secure installation", and I am wondering whether all my network image installations have an compatibility issue.

Nope, CSM enabled means only that you can still boot legacy boot media BIOS style. To disable secure boot you have to go into Boot -> Secure Boot -> Key Management
and then Delete Secure Boot Keys (you can readd it later if you want it) which will implicitly disable secure boot. There is no other way, there's no enable/disable switch sadly and it's a bit hidden I'd say.
Been there, done that - secure boot is disabled here as it useless if you don't have either fedora, ubuntu or latest windows or self-signed bootloader/init system/kernel/userspace chain.
Secure boot has otherwise no impact, but if you don't use one of the above you better disable it.

mzurhorst wrote:c. "legacy USB" is set active because I wanted to enforce it. By default, this one was "auto", I think.

IIRC that doesn't matter but I'll check what mine is set to. Only matters for older operating systems boot menus, if you keyboard is working in UEFI you probably don't need to care and can leave this at the default.

mzurhorst wrote:d. "Intel xHCI mode" is currently on "smart auto". Will try this with "auto" as well
That's probably not enough but only relevant for USB3 stuff.

mzurhorst wrote:e. "EHCI Hand-off" is deactivated. Here, I am struggeling with the description in the manual and did not touch it.

If you don't test all the settings you probably won't fix your issue. The documentation is pretty bad for some items IMHO even when it's extensive.
Still, I've had no issues so far under linux with default settings, only in windows. USB3 devices take sometimes quite a while to recognise, but it's otherwise ok.

The only other hint I can provide you is because there are quite a lot of settings, document the effect for all of them that you change.
I've already got a list of more then 10 settings where I need to change the default, and I'm only talking about normal function and features not about any performance-related stuff.
Took me quite a while to even get the default boot ordering configuration figured out, as there's no real way to configure that like in old BIOS days and that sucks quite a bit.
----
doktor5000

Postby pete910 » Jan 19th, '15, 01:43

Here's mine if that helps

pete910

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 19th, '15, 08:13

Thanks to all of you.
I had a bit of sleep, and LinuxMint is still working this morning. Mouse can be plugged/unplugged.
I assume this is the proper setting now, but I need to attach an USB3 device and check how this is handled.

This leaves me alone with the this "error -71" thing, and I did not find a lot in the internet.
It might be related to poor power supply to the attached device or so, I read things that a cable may be broken.

Will report back in the next days.

Thanks and regards,
Marcus
mzurhorst

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 19th, '15, 20:49

Could you please post the complete error message, as can be seen via e.g.
Code: Select all
journalctl -ab | grep 'error -71'

Also is there some issue related to this error message? Any device not working or not working properly?

I see this too, now that you asked:
┌─[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[19:48:11]─[~]
└──╼ journalctl -ab | grep 'error -71'
Jan 14 20:44:11 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 28, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:28 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 95, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:29 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 98, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:38 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 6, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:45 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 34, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:46 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 36, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:47 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 39, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:47 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 41, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:48 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 43, error -71
Jan 14 20:44:49 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 47, error -71
Jan 14 20:45:01 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 83, error -71
Jan 14 20:45:01 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 14 20:45:16 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 100, error -71
Jan 14 20:45:30 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 14 20:45:36 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 118, error -71
Jan 14 20:45:43 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 123, error -71
Jan 14 20:46:41 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 39, error -71
Jan 14 20:46:51 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 14 20:54:53 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.3: device not accepting address 29, error -71
Jan 16 23:04:34 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 30, error -71
Jan 19 01:33:59 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 65, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:00 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 68, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:01 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 71, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:04 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 78, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:07 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 86, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:08 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't read configurations, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:10 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 96, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:17 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:18 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 113, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:19 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:26 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 15, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:27 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 18, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:30 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 27, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:32 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 33, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:33 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 36, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:34 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:48 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 94, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:50 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 98, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:53 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:54 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 114, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:56 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 120, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:58 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 125, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:59 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 5, error -71
Jan 19 01:34:59 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 7, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:02 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 14, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:02 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 16, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:04 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 21, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:05 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 25, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:07 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 30, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:08 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:08 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:09 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 38, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:11 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 42, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:17 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 55, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:21 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 64, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:22 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't read configurations, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:23 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 69, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:23 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:24 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:26 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't read configurations, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:31 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 85, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:33 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 89, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:34 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:36 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:37 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:40 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 104, error -71
Jan 19 01:35:51 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 119, error -71
Jan 19 01:36:00 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:36:01 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 13, error -71
Jan 19 01:36:03 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 17, error -71
Jan 19 01:36:14 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 31, error -71
Jan 19 01:36:23 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:36:42 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't set config #1, error -71
Jan 19 01:37:22 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 82, error -71
Jan 19 01:37:27 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 86, error -71
Jan 19 01:38:47 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 122, error -71
Jan 19 01:38:50 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't read configurations, error -71
Jan 19 01:39:16 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:44:00 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/all, error -71
Jan 19 01:50:41 Mageia5 kernel: usb 1-1.4: can't read configurations, error -71
----
doktor5000

Postby pete910 » Jan 19th, '15, 22:07

Just checked mine and mines empty. Running Mga5 cauldron :?
pete910

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 20th, '15, 14:58

I need a little bit more time to reproduce the error.
Yesterday, I also installed Windows 7 to figure whether there is also an issue with faulty hardware.
This one works flawlessly, which really drives me crazy.

I plan the following actions in the next days:
1) I try to repeat the different installations (MGA4, MGA5b2, Ubuntu) without the suspicious USB device attached.
2) If 1) works, I will disassemble the PC once more to check the hardware (loose/broken cable etc)
3) The suspicous USB device is the one which drives the volume wheel and the media buttons in the HTPC case.
I need to find out how to set these keys up and if this is working.

I'll post again once I have more information.
For the moment, I need to do some homework to get this nailed down.

Regards,
Marcus

PS: @doktor5000
You initially mentioned USB issues with Windows as well. Did you manage to get them finally under control with improved BIOS settings? -- Or this is an issue that still appears every now and then?
mzurhorst

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 20th, '15, 21:15

mzurhorst wrote:PS: @doktor5000
You initially mentioned USB issues with Windows as well. Did you manage to get them finally under control with improved BIOS settings? -- Or this is an issue that still appears every now and then?

Nope, it's fixed now, only happened with the default settings.
----
doktor5000

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 22nd, '15, 16:52

Hello all,

I made not much progress anymore.
Or better, not the kind of progress that I was hoping for. ;)

1) It is not the volume wheel itself which is broken, but only the 7 multimedia hotkeys underneath. (I coincidentally saw that it is working; it belongs to the IMON VFD)
2) The manual mentions that the hotkeys are only supported under Windows ME, 2000 or XP, quite ancient stuff. However, I found other users in the VDR portal who have the same casing, and they report that this is indeed a regular USB device, which registered itself as keyboard.
3) I had contact with the vendor. They offered me to return the entire casing via an service ticket, but this means that the case would be away for several weeks in worst case.
4) They gave me the recommendation to ask Silverstone for a spare part. I mailed them and am waiting for the reply now.
5) I brazed a small USB cable to connect the internal USB headers with a regular USB port on my different laptops. This simply confirmed that I now have the same misbehavior also on my MGA4 laptop.
6) The syslog tells me that the device trys to register through the xhci_hcd driver, which is USB3.0. Is there any possibilty to enforce a USB2.0 driver for a very specific port 3-8 or so? --- This is my only remaining point that I have not investigated yet, and the Ubuntu kernel has sadly all USB stuff builtin, so that blacklisting the entire thing is not possible.

Kind regards,
Marcus
mzurhorst

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 22nd, '15, 21:37

mzurhorst wrote:6) The syslog tells me that the device trys to register through the xhci_hcd driver, which is USB3.0. Is there any possibilty to enforce a USB2.0 driver for a very specific port 3-8 or so? --- This is my only remaining point that I have not investigated yet, and the Ubuntu kernel has sadly all USB stuff builtin, so that blacklisting the entire thing is not possible.

Apart from blacklisting or changing the USB3 settings in UEFI? Nope, seems only for USB2 you can switch back-and-forth
between fullspeed and hispeed. See the following links:

http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/piperma ... 08508.html
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=172005

To see the bus and port numbers (and the whole tree) use
lsusb -t
(you may need to install usbutils for that)

This is what it looks like here:

┌─[doktor5000@Mageia5]─[20:37:24]─[~]
└──╼ sudo lsusb -t
/:  Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/8p, 480M
        |__ Port 7: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=btusb, 12M
        |__ Port 7: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=btusb, 12M
        |__ Port 7: Dev 3, If 2, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=, 12M
        |__ Port 7: Dev 3, If 3, Class=Application Specific Interface, Driver=, 12M
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 5000M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 5000M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/6p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
        |__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
        |__ Port 3: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

Don't you have any USB2 ports on your box?
----
doktor5000

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 22nd, '15, 22:02

Sure, the Mainboard has internal and external ports for USB2.0 and USB3.0:
-- external: 2x black USB ports (1.1/2.0)
-- external: 4x blue USB ports (3.0)
-- internal: 3x 9-pin connectors (1.1/2.0, each for 2 devices)
-- internal: 1x 19-pin connector (3.0)

My faulty device is attached to the internal 9-pin connectors, and I tried all of them.
Still, watching syslog shows that xhci_hcd is in the game.
mzurhorst

Postby mzurhorst » Jan 22nd, '15, 23:58

Jan 22 22:01:01 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: new low-speed USB device number 27 using ehci-pci
Jan 22 22:01:01 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Jan 22 22:01:01 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Jan 22 22:01:02 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: new low-speed USB device number 28 using ehci-pci
Jan 22 22:01:02 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Jan 22 22:01:02 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
Jan 22 22:01:02 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: new low-speed USB device number 29 using ehci-pci
Jan 22 22:01:02 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 29, error -32
Jan 22 22:01:02 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: new low-speed USB device number 30 using ehci-pci
Jan 22 22:01:03 mzlaptop2 kernel: usb 1-1.4: device not accepting address 30, error -32
Jan 22 22:01:03 mzlaptop2 kernel: hub 1-1:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

FYI, the above is from my Mageia 4 laptop. I removed the xhci_hcd module and attached the device with the adapter cable that I made.
Two things are different compared to the Ubuntu HTPC:
a) I now have "error -32", not "error -71" anymore.
b) lsusb does not hang, but is working. But it does not recognize anything.
mzurhorst

Return to Other