Have you found an interesting software? Tell it here!

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Have you found an interesting software? Tell it here!

Postby macxi » Jul 26th, '11, 14:50

Hi,

I opened this topic to people who want to share interesting suggestion of useful software.

This topic has the same proposal of topic in MandrivaBrasil Forum, created in 2008 ("Have you found an interesting free software? Tell us!), with 21315 visits (in 3 yaers), demonstrates the interest of peaple to find interesting and useful applications. Thinking about it, I opened a similar tópic in MageiaBrasil forum "Have you found a nice software? Share it here! ", and now, I opened one here.

Below, I list some interesting software that I found when I did a table "Linux Application table for MAGEIA 1":

1 - Very good "DraftSight 2D CAD" (note: with the exception of "DraftSight 2D CAD", all other software listed are available in "Mageia 1" default repository, and can be easily installed with a few clicks)

2 - I was surprised by the large amount of good software for managing finances (I only knew the first two):
    a) KMyMoney
    b) GNUCash
    c) Grisbi
    d) Skrooge
    e) Homebank

3 - I was also surprised by the large amount (7) of good software for music production.
    a) LMMS
    b) Ardour
    c) Hydrogen
    d) Rosegarden
    e) MusE
    f) Qtractor
    g) Tuxguitar

4 - "MyPaint" I found very interesting image editing with very useful tools.

5 - "Iceape" (Mozilla Corporation software rebranded by the Debian project) - Suite Internet: email, browser. web page editor, IRC chat, etc..

6 - "Chromium-browser", Google Chrome browser in the free version for linux.

7 - "Fwbuilder" Firewall did not know and has a site with a lot of use guidelines, but still very complicated.

8 - "Zim-wiki" - is a tool for organizing personal notes made with a wiki software - very practical - especially for those who have notions of wiki editing (to create pages and folders -> "folder:pages" and only), I found very interesting. I think it has the same function of "Basket Note", but with structure proper, tools and a different format.

9 - "Sigil", Ebook Editor (I didn't know existed ebook editor, ebook thought that was generated and then edited in PDF format).

10 - Interesting graphical tools for hardware:
    a) "Qpxtool" - Test CD / DVD Drive - Check the integrity of the drive cd/dvd.
    b) "GSmartControl" - HD Inspection Tool - is front-end of Smartmontools, (Check the integrity of HD).
    c) "Palimpsest" (gnome-disk-utility, tb smart front end) - disk utilities in graphical mode.
    d) "testdisk" (retrieves information lost in HD) - disk utilities in graphical mode.
    e) "fslint" (find and clean junk files in the system eg . duplicate files). I have not tested yet, so I'm not sure how they work - disk utilities in graphical mode.

11 - FreetuxTV - internet TV, Webtv - is very practical, excellent, worked well in a Mageia 1 - (see tips in MageaBrasil Forum)

12 - Minitube - Youtube client - is very practical, excellent, worked well in a Mageia 1 - (see tips in MageaBrasil Forum)

Cheers! :)
macxi

interesting software -- KeePass -- but xdotool package neede

Postby TigerPaw » Aug 9th, '11, 19:00

Those are some very interesting pieces of software. I was aware of some of them, but not all.

One program I particularly like and would add to my list is KeePass, version 2.16; the web site is keepass.info. KeePass is a cross-platform password wallet for securely collecting all those usernames and passwords that are burying me in memory overload. My experience with it has been extremely positive. The website indicates that KeePass is free as in beer AND "open source (OSI certified)."

To run KeePass under linux, you need mono >= 2.6, and a couple of mono tools. I had no trouble installing those running Mageia 1 on CD, and KeePass fires up perfectly. My information was there on my network drive, just as I had left it. Amazing--I'm actually running the keepass.exe portable Windows executable under linux, thanks to Mono.

KeePass has a really neat feature called autotyping. With autotype, once I use KeePass to bring up the login page for my bank, auto loan, etc., I choose autotype, and KeePass automatically logs in for me, even across multiple login/password pages.

BUT, in order to use autotype, KeePass needs a package called xdotool. And I can't find xdotool anywhere on the core, nonfree, or tainted repositories. Anybody have any suggestions where the xdotool package might be? Two weeks ago it wouldn't have been a problem. But now I have experienced the Nirvana of autotype, and there's no going back :-)
TigerPaw

Re: Have you found an interesting software? Tell it here!

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 9th, '11, 19:17

Well, there is keepassx in the repositories:
http://www.keepassx.org/
Version 2 is in development and will also feature autotyping.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby TigerPaw » Aug 9th, '11, 20:24

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, because I must also use Windows (resigned sigh), I went with KeePass, rather than the forked KeePassX. But I'll double check the current state of development of KeePassX regarding Windows.

Also, I see that xdotool and its supporting library were in the Mandriva 2010.x repositories. I suppose I could try to download those two packages and install them, and see how it works. After all, what's the worst that could happen? Right? Aside from total world annihilation and the sun going supernova?
TigerPaw

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 9th, '11, 20:36

TigerPaw wrote:Also, I see that xdotool and its supporting library were in the Mandriva 2010.x repositories. I suppose I could try to download those two packages and install them, and see how it works. After all, what's the worst that could happen? Right? Aside from total world annihilation and the sun going supernova?

Hehe :)
You could try, but you could also make a package request here:
https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi?p ... mat=guided
Choose "New RPM package request" as the Component.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Lebarhon » Aug 9th, '11, 21:31

Hi,

For all those who like photography, I recommend two pieces of software of high quality:
Rawtherapee for the digital photo developing. It is both simple and powerful. Unfortunately, any rpm doesn't exist, you have to do the compilation yourself. (easy)
Hugin to create breathtaking panoramas by adding several photos. It is also simple and powerful. rpm package exists.
Lebarhon

Postby noneco » Aug 9th, '11, 21:50

calibre - e-book management
noneco

Postby macxi » Aug 9th, '11, 22:59

Lebarhon wrote:Hi,
For all those who like photography, I recommend two pieces of software of high quality:
Rawtherapee for the digital photo developing. It is both simple and powerful. Unfortunately, any rpm doesn't exist, you have to do the compilation yourself. (easy)
Hugin to create breathtaking panoramas by adding several photos. It is also simple and powerful. rpm package exists.

Lebarhon,

Great, I didn't know this software. I searched the package for the site Rawtherapee in site Linux Packages Search and the Search Results for Rawtherapee was that there are rpm packages for Fedora 13, 14 and 15 and Mandriva 2009. Hasn't packet to Mageia.

The Hugin software have package to Mageia 1 and I like it. It's installed when I install the software Digikam.
macxi

Postby wobo » Aug 10th, '11, 01:32

noneco wrote:calibre - e-book management

calibre is in the repository. I installed it, using it, works nicely.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby roberio » Aug 10th, '11, 11:06

Hi,
I use Mandriva. I installed Mageia on VirtualBox to try it. Firsly every packages are newer version than in Mandriva. I'd like to use it because it shipped with the new SANE backend and I can use my new scanner with it. But some programs are not in it. That's no problem. I'm a 'experienced compiler' as far as package creation's concerned. I cannot find checkinstall. It would be so good to be part of the next release. I need Scribus and I need the latest version. Does not install because of libpython version. (Mageia has newer one.) No problem. Mandriva has the needed depedencies. After installing Scribus runs fine with some python mismach error in terminal. (Need time to compile. I don't know that all the dependencies are ready to install from package.)
The next program is Cinepaint. (HDR image creation from a sort of jpgs) I couldn't installed it because libyranos missing (as I remember).
Avant Window Navigator? libpython is very new that it expects. (Cairo Dock works fine.)
CMYKTool and Photoprint? Need convert images from RGB to CMYK and print them on sheets. After installing a bunch of depedencies (appr. 100 MB) make stopped with Error. I could create rpm packages on Mandriva from sources of these two programs. (Created packeges on Mandriva cannot be installed on Mageia because of dependencies which are not the part of DVD or not on the net.)
Related sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus ... 2/download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinepai ... z/download
http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/cmykt ... re1.tar.gz
http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/photo ... re2.tar.gz
http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/chec ... 6.2.tar.gz

I would be pleased if somebody can help to solve problems.
roberio

Postby macxi » Aug 10th, '11, 15:12

roberio wrote:Hi,
I use Mandriva. I installed Mageia on VirtualBox to try it. Firsly every packages are newer version than in Mandriva. I'd like to use it because it shipped with the new SANE backend and I can use my new scanner with it. But some programs are not in it. That's no problem. I'm a 'experienced compiler' as far as package creation's concerned. I cannot find checkinstall. It would be so good to be part of the next release. I need Scribus and I need the latest version. Does not install because of libpython version. (Mageia has newer one.) No problem. Mandriva has the needed depedencies. After installing Scribus runs fine with some python mismach error in terminal. (Need time to compile. I don't know that all the dependencies are ready to install from package.)
The next program is Cinepaint. (HDR image creation from a sort of jpgs) I couldn't installed it because libyranos missing (as I remember).
Avant Window Navigator? libpython is very new that it expects. (Cairo Dock works fine.)
CMYKTool and Photoprint? Need convert images from RGB to CMYK and print them on sheets. After installing a bunch of depedencies (appr. 100 MB) make stopped with Error. I could create rpm packages on Mandriva from sources of these two programs. (Created packeges on Mandriva cannot be installed on Mageia because of dependencies which are not the part of DVD or not on the net.)
Related sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus ... 2/download
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinepai ... z/download
http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/cmykt ... re1.tar.gz
http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/photo ... re2.tar.gz
http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/chec ... 6.2.tar.gz
I would be pleased if somebody can help to solve problems.

Hi Roberio,
Welcome to the Mageia Forum!

I searched for the RPM packages on the site "Linux Packages Search", and found only Scribus in repository of Mageia:
I don't know how to build packages, so I don't know how to help you. Maybe someone else can help you here in Mageia Forum, but you can request that these packages are added in repository of Mageia, in site Bugzilla-Mageia. You'll be very welcome, especially because your compiler knowledge can help them to configure it for Mageia.

Cheers :)
Macxi
macxi

Postby isadora » Aug 10th, '11, 15:21

Checkinstall: has been made a "New Package Request" in the Bugzilla:
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1661

......as well as for.....
Avant-window-navigator:
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1716

New package requests can be made through:
https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi?p ... mat=guided
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby roberio » Aug 10th, '11, 18:03

Hi macxi,
You say that rpms from fedora will work? I make you blue. I tried some packages (I don't know which ones) install from Fedora rpm. lybyranos is needed. I couldn't find this package in Mageia so I was not able to install.
If any similar programs will be in Mageia, it'll be welcome by me.

I downloaded Cinepaint and Checkinstall form Mandriva Cooker. Cinepaint works I don't say nothing about Checkinstall, because I haven't used it.

Photoprint can be installed, but stops with this message:
photoprint
lpstat: No destinations added.
Szegmentálási hiba
↑ Segmentation Fault.

I couldn't find CMYKTool in that repository. :( Is there any program can convert RGB images to CMYK?
roberio

Postby isadora » Aug 10th, '11, 18:42

Ladies and gentleman i like to warn you NOT mingling packages of all kind of distributions.
Yes, sometimes you may have luck, but most of the time you are just asking for troubles.
Fedora makes packages for their distribution like Mandriva does for his and Mageia for its own.
And they all of course built them based on their own distributions with their own characteristics.

I would strongly advise to stick to the packages for your distribution of choice.
When you can't find, what you look for, just ask in the forum, or take a look at the Bugzilla.
Maybe others already made a "New Package Request", and is it just a matter of waiting.
If not, you are entitled to do so yourselves.
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby roberio » Aug 10th, '11, 20:18

Sorry, 't was my fault to mention Fedora. There were Mandriva packages on that site, too. I'll try to study Mandriva Cooker repos, because new Mandriva may use packages with the same versions what Mageia needs.
roberio

Postby macxi » Aug 10th, '11, 23:15

roberio wrote:Sorry, 't was my fault to mention Fedora. There were Mandriva packages on that site, too. I'll try to study Mandriva Cooker repos, because new Mandriva may use packages with the same versions what Mageia needs.

Roberio,

I think the Mandriva Cooker (2011 Development) packages shouldn't be use in Mageia. I think this can crash the system, because they are in RPM5 and Mageia packages are in RPM4.

You aren't new user on linux but beginners users may not know (and I think Isadora is right), should not use packages from other repositories in Mageia. This can make the system unstable. I mentioned packages from other distributions, to know the popularity of the software and also because I think if there are package in RPM4 (Mandriva 2010.2, Fedora e OpenSuSE), I imagine that this may facilitate the conversion package for Mageia.

I think the most recommended is to use only packages from the official repository, enabling only repositories that you consider most appropriate to your user profiles and if the packages that you need isn't in the official repository, it's great if you request in Bugzilla-Mageia for it to be added, this will help Mageia get better.

roberio wrote:I couldn't find CMYKTool in that repository. :( Is there any program can convert RGB images to CMYK?

I searched packages "CMYKtools" for linux and not found. Just some links: Separate, CMYKTool, CMYK support in The GIMP and How To Save CMYK Images In Gimp.

Cheers :)
Macxi
macxi

Postby roberio » Aug 11th, '11, 10:08

CMYKTool and Photoprint from Blackfiveimaging are not part of any repos of Mandriva, BUT could be compiled, created packages, installable and run. I can't say good news in Mageia. That's the problem. I think Mageia still has no some dependent packages (missed from DVD and repos) and Mandriva-based ones are not suitable to install and run here as I read above about RPM4 and 5 differencies.
(Hope so that my English isn't so confused.)
roberio

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '11, 10:09

macxi wrote:I searched packages "CMYKtools" for linux and not found.

Maybe you searched at the wrong place, there are at least RPM packages for ALTLinux and OpenSuse:
http://rpm.pbone.net/

just enter
name*rpm
in the search field and select "Search for rpms by name in FTP world resources (2) e.g. rpm-4*i386.rpm"

Just tried the OpenSuse package, CMYKtools works and has only one dependency which gets installed by urpmi. Try it out.
----
doktor5000

Postby wobo » Aug 11th, '11, 12:02

Slightly OT:
macxi wrote:I think the Mandriva Cooker (2011 Development) packages shouldn't be use in Mageia. I think this can crash the system, because they are in RPM5 and Mageia packages are in RPM4.

This is something that keeps hurting my eyes every time I read it:
What you call "RPM4" is actually "RPM in the version 4.x". "RPM5" is NOT "RPM in the version of 5.x" and Jeff Johnson (the initiator of RPM5) did a remarkable piece of marketing trick by naming it RPM5, so people may think it is a new version of RPM. He could have named it "JJRPM" (Jeff Johnson's RPM) or TCTLCRPM (The Cow That Loves Coffee RPM) or whatever because RPM5 is not the next version of RPM after v.4.x but a fork of RPM. Actually it is "RPM5 v.1"

Of course I do not deny that RPM5 does bear some enhancements compared with the current version of RPM and it may be the successor of RPM in some or all distributions (AFAIK ALTLinux and Mandriva are the first to take it, I may be wrong here).

End of OT and pls take m<y apologies for pointing this out.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby roberio » Aug 11th, '11, 14:01

:OFF
By the way…

First I try to find distro rpm package, then source and compile, make rpm package. Site rpm.pbone.net is not a secure site to me. First I see thru distro mirrors. On not find package, I'll start compile whatever versions exist of development tools.
:ON
roberio

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '11, 16:36

roberio wrote:Site rpm.pbone.net is not a secure site to me.

Yes, this is right. I only use it to search for src.rpms, which i then clean up, fix and recompile.
It should not be encouraged to novice users to install packages from other distros.

The only reason why i posted this was as it seemed pressing and it's only a small package.
----
doktor5000

Postby saptech » Aug 16th, '11, 18:44

Fsarchiver is a system tool that allows you to save the contents of a file-system to a compressed archive file. The file-system can be restored on a partition which has a different size and it can be restored on a different file-system. Unlike tar/dar, FSArchiver also creates the file-system when it extracts the data to partitions.

http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page

I've recently started using it to backup two partitions, one for Mga and LMDE. The backup steps was very easy and fast to backup. I haven't tried restoring yet, but I'm saving that for when I get a larger hard drive.

Thnx.
Each One Teach One
--------------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
HP Compaq Elite 8300 | Intel Core i5 | 8gb | 120gb SSD
--------------------------
Mageia 7 & Debian 10
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad Core | 4gb | 250gb HDD
saptech

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 19th, '11, 13:55

NFOview is a simple viewer for NFO files, which are "ASCII" art in the CP437 codepage. ;)
Packages are available in the repos of Mageia and Mandriva, among other distributions.
----
doktor5000

Postby benmc » Sep 2nd, '11, 12:56

hi

povray is available on the download dvd, will kpovmodeler be available in the future online repository as an package / update

regards
benmc

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 2nd, '11, 14:35

If you want kpovmodeler to be available, please file a package request: https://bugs.mageia.org/enter_bug.cgi?p ... mat=guided
Please choose "New RPM package request" as the Component.
----
doktor5000

Next

Return to Other