Totem movie player in plasma desktop

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Totem movie player in plasma desktop

Postby catowner » Jun 13th, '14, 10:12

I have just recenty installed Mageia 4 (with KDE) from a disk that I got from the Linux Voice magazine. The disk contains the full Mageia 4 DVD content which contains all the software available from Mageia.

During the installation I selected the KDE option and after it had been installed I discovered that Totem movie player had been installed which I was a bit surprised about that as Totem is designed for Gnome/GTK. Now I know that you can successfully run GTK apps on KDE and QT apps running under Gnome and other GTK desktops.

My question is, what was the reason to include Totem with KDE?

I'm just curious.
catowner

Re: Totem movie player in plasma desktop

Postby benmc » Jun 14th, '14, 07:43

hi

I cannot answer why but can say that Totem Movie Player has been included in the Mandriva, OpenMandriva and Mageia families with KDE from at least 2009.
I see that the current crop of Debian, ElementaryOS and Fedora KDE flavours also have Totem available.
Another choice to play your movie file is always good.

regards
benmc

Postby catowner » Jun 14th, '14, 10:54

Thank you for your comment.

Actually whilst thinking about it, when I had previously installed Mageia 2 and 3 I always installed it from a live CD. This is the firsst time I installed Mageia from the full DVD installation disk. So when I installed from a live CD obviously Totem was not included on that disk and therefore was not installed.
catowner

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 14th, '14, 11:38

catowner wrote:The disk contains the full Mageia 4 DVD content which contains all the software available from Mageia.

No it does not - it only contains a selection from the repositories. More then the live-cds/dvds but definitely not all software available from the repos.

catowner wrote:My question is, what was the reason to include Totem with KDE?

Because totem uses gstreamer, and the default and preferred phonon backend until this year was also based on gstreamer.
It was already discussed multiple times to switch to other default media players, but the default phonon backend was always the primary reason to avoid that.
This could be discussed again for Mageia 5, as we'll probably (finally, hopefully :) ) switch to the nowadays preferred vlc backend.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:PhononVlcAsDefault
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Other