Table with list of the main software for Mageia

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Table with list of the main software for Mageia

Postby macxi » Jul 8th, '11, 16:13

Hi,

I made a table with the main software for use in a Mageia 1.

I edited this table based on table of site "Liberdade Gráfica" and based on list of main software that are available in repository software (default) of Mageia 1.

The interesting thing is that I always found good software that I didn't know.

It is a table that was edited on Mageia 1, with Kompozer as html.

hugs :)

Macxi

Note: same topic in Forum MageiaBrasil
Last edited by macxi on Sep 22nd, '13, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Re: Table with list of the main software for Mageia

Postby macxi » Jul 10th, '11, 23:13

Hi,

I made a table with the main software of the Mandriva 2010.2 too:

What I can tell, with the editing of these two tables, was that, obviously, the Mandriva have more packages than Mageia, but Mageia has the major packages in each area.
Last edited by macxi on Sep 22nd, '13, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Postby macxi » Jul 21st, '11, 19:22

Hi,

I updated the Linux Application table for MAGEIA 1 (in english and portuguese) a and added the link of the site "Linux Packages Search" (bottom of the page).

For those who want to find the table later, It's linked in wiki MageiaBrasil and page of Software Table.

If someone wants to create a table with other software or to another distro, just copy file and folder icons and edit in Kompozer. It's easy to edit.

Note 1: If anyone wants to add some other free software that is interesting in the table, just tell that I add.

Note 2: In my opinion, I think it important an easy and simple presentation to find linux software, especially for beginners, as shown in the article "Top 100 of the Best (Useful) OpenSource Applications" (2008) of Ubuntu Linux Help site.

In March 2011, the author of the text made in 2008, said in new text "More Useful Open Source Applications 2011":

"As of today, it has been viewed over 1.8 million times. Still, one of the more common questions I get asked by new Linux users, revolves around the subject "What application do I use for..."

In MandrivaBrasil Forum, a topic "Found an great program? Tell us!" (in portuguese: "Descobriu um programa legal? Conta pra gente!") has been read 21209 times (one of the topics with more discussions and visits of the Forum MandrivaBrasil).

I think there is already a lot of quality software, but it is not easy for many users find an appropriate application to their needs.

I made this table only as suggestion. The ideal, in my opinion, is a database online with applications to Mageia, such as Linux Packages Search site, but only for Mageia packages and with format of "Mageia Software Manager", of "Control Center Mageia-CCM", to access for everyone who wanted to know or looking for some software (not to install, only to seek, like Linux Packages Search).

Cheers :)
Last edited by macxi on Sep 22nd, '13, 03:58, edited 6 times in total.
macxi

Re: Table with list of the main software for Mageia 1 as des

Postby jkerr82508 » Jul 21st, '11, 19:41

macxi wrote:The ideal, in my opinion, is a database online with applications to Mageia, such as Linux Packages Search site, but only for Mageia packages and with format of "Mageia Software Manager", of "Control Center Mageia-CCM", to access for everyone who wanted to know or looking for some software (not to install, only to seek, like Linux Packages Search).

That sounds like mageia-app-db, which is still being developed.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=11&p=5677

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby wobo » Jul 21st, '11, 19:52

Now I know what is missing in the mageia-app-db! A field with the matching name of a WindowsWorld application, so migrators who have used a special app in Windows can search for the name and see if there is a Linux equivalent in Mageia and what's it called! But if I understand the way the app-db works correctly this is not possible from the technical concept.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby macxi » Jul 22nd, '11, 01:17

wobo wrote:Now I know what is missing in the mageia-app-db! A field with the matching name of a WindowsWorld application, so migrators who have used a special app in Windows can search for the name and see if there is a Linux equivalent in Mageia and what's it called! But if I understand the way the app-db works correctly this is not possible from the technical concept.

jkerr82508 wrote:That sounds like mageia-app-db, which is still being developed.
Jim

Jim and Wobo,

Mageia-app-db is great.
I added in the "Linux Application table for MAGEIA 1 " the link to the site Mageia-app-db and the site Sophie.

There is a topic here in Mageia Forum (mageia-app-db v0.2 released) with explanations and several links about it.

Note: There is a suggestion of Marcello Anni (on the mailing list Dev-Mageia) for a front-end to mageia-app-db.
Last edited by macxi on Sep 22nd, '13, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
macxi

Postby stormi » Jul 24th, '11, 15:20

wobo wrote:Now I know what is missing in the mageia-app-db! A field with the matching name of a WindowsWorld application, so migrators who have used a special app in Windows can search for the name and see if there is a Linux equivalent in Mageia and what's it called! But if I understand the way the app-db works correctly this is not possible from the technical concept.

No, it's not impossible, there's always the possibility to add a mapping table and use it, if we develop it :).

In fact, they already have this kind of thing in the debian world with debtags, and I plan to use debtags one day too in Mageia App Db.

For example, you can search for "photoshop" in the following page : http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/ssearch.html

The list may be improved, but the idea is there : the word is understood and you get results that match it more or less. Strange thing, gimp isn't in the results. Probably a missing tag ?
Samuel V.
mageia-app-db : Project site, try it !
stormi

Postby wobo » Jul 24th, '11, 16:24

Thx for the info - and another thank you for your work, it is much appreciated!
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby macxi » Sep 21st, '13, 22:11

Hi,

The more complete tables software equivalents linux-windows are the table from Russia, of Kachurov-Artem and the table The Linux Alternative Project.

See Linux Application table for MAGEIA updated

Other tables, see in the Mageia Brazil Forum: Tables Software Equivalents Linux-Windows
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 12th, '14, 17:14

Hi,
I created a page on Wiki Official Mageia (en) with the list of useful apps for Mageia. Thus, this table can be edited by everyone. Who wants to collaborate can help update and add applications that you find useful.

Wiki Official Mageia (en): List of Applications Software for Mageia.
macxi

Postby macxi » Aug 14th, '14, 16:15

Psyca,
Seem interesting. These applications I do not know.
I checked the site and saw pkgs that are in the official repository.
As soon as I can, I'll add the list.
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

macxi

Return to Other