Notes about install Mageia 1 LiveCD for desktop user

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Notes about install Mageia 1 LiveCD for desktop user

Postby macxi » Jun 17th, '11, 17:30

Hi,

I Complete a new and clean install of Mageia 1 LiveCD KDE. It lasted 30 minutes. I have a Mageia LiveCD and Mageia DVD, but by choice, I decide to do a fresh install with the Mageia 1 LiveCD. This installation and package lists are for desktop users like me.

1 - Install Media I set the media and I copie the DVD repository folder "1-i586/i586/media /" of Mageia 1 DVD to a folder on my computer "var/ftp" and added as a custom media-local, with this, the nstallation packages for "video card configuration". "printer" and "scanner" was very fast. This phase lasted 30 minutes.

2 - install packages - As the Mageia LiveCD KDE is a "thin" to fit on 700 MB CD, I installed the packages from the list of 37 software (in english) thar resulted in 324 new packages, with 1.4 GB. As the repository of the DVD copied to a folder on my computer and added to the media, the installation of these 324 packages took in 1:30 min. At that time included is the time downlod several large packages that were downloaded from the internet. Still, it was fast. If I had to download the 1.3 GB of the internet, would take much longer, depending on the bandwidth of the Internet, can be more than 4 hours.

In all, in fact, were selected in 37 packages of Mageia Program Manager (in Control Center Mageia-CCM), which added to its dependencies, totaling 324 software and 1.4 GB.

3 - install extra packages:
    a) various packages
    AdobeReader-pdf (site) OK - rpm package is generic - there is no distro-specific package. (Downloaded from Adobe's official website) - ok
      (Note: I prefer Okular (which is free) to read PDF, but Adobe has plugin to Firefox open PDF, which is installed autormaticamento when installing the package).
    Firestarter (rpmbone) - rpm package prepared for Mandriva - is not prepared for the Mageia. - It worked - but in testing.
    Skype (mib) - rpm package is prepared for Mandriva. - It worked - but in testing.
    XMind (mib) - rpm package is prepared for Mandriva. - It worked - but in testing.
    GoogleEarth - prepared the rpm package for Fedora/SuSE. (Downloaded from the official website of GoogleEarth) - it worked - but in testing.

b) Firefox Addons
    - Google Translate for Firefox 106 - ok
    - DownloadHelper - ok

c) LibreOffice
    - webcore-fonts - fonts win - rpm package is generic (rpmbone) - ok
    - extension cogroo - ok (grammar checking tool for portuguese-br)
    - extension Vero - ok (spell-checking tool for portuguese-br)

One surprise was that it did not work the "fast initiator system tray" (load/enable systray quickstarter) in this installation LibreOffice Mageia a KDE LiveCD. Nevertheless, it remains fast, but not as fast as with the systray quickstarter.

I did two installations of a Mageia the same machine, both made ​​with Mageia a LiveCD. One works the icon and the other not. I still do not understand why. One does LibreOffice systray quickstarter icon, and LibreOffice opens immediately, the second half, great.
    But in another installation, it does not appear.

To open the LibreOffice, I do not click on the quick launcher icon, but click on the normal icon, as always. If that quickstarter icon on "systray" is working, LibreOffice opens very fast (half second). If the tray icon not working, opens fast, but normal, a second and a half.

4 - The packages that were missing in Mageia beta2, added and available on Mageia 1:
    - FreeMind - added
    - Mozplugger - added

The good news is that the package was added kfilebox - Dropbox gives access to (virtual HD, 2 GB free, synchronize files and folders on your computer and the Internet), this package has not Mandriva.

5 - The missing packages:
    haven't.- google-apps-installer (already have bug 1208 requesting the package) - stoped
    haven't.- HardInfo (already have bug 1205 requesting the package) - stoped
    haven't.- Qdvdauthor (already have bug 1207 requesting the package) - stoped
    haven't.- firestarter * (already have Bug 1033 requesting the package) - stoped
    haven't.- rkhunter (already have bug 1206 requesting the package) - in progress
    haven't.- Dokuwiki - (already havem Bug 1096 requesting the package) - in progress
    haven't - libreoffice-openclipart (collections of images) (already have Bug 462 requesting the package) - in progress

These missing packages listed above are not essential for the use of a Mageia. They are only a comparison with the software already available in the repository of Mandriva. Their absence does not compromise the use of a Mageia. These are packages I use and I have installed ever. And I hope they are added gradually in the repository of Mageia.

Cheers :)

Note: the same topic in MageiaBrasil
Last edited by macxi on Jun 17th, '11, 22:48, edited 10 times in total.
macxi

Re: Notes about install Mageia 1 LiveCD for desktop user

Postby isadora » Jun 17th, '11, 18:14

Thanks macxi for this very nice and clear report.
I will take a closer look at all your tips!!!
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Re: Notes about install Mageia 1 LiveCD for desktop user

Postby macxi » Jun 20th, '11, 04:47

macxi wrote:c) LibreOffice
One surprise was that it did not work the "fast initiator system tray" (load/enable systray quickstarter) in this installation LibreOffice Mageia a KDE LiveCD. Nevertheless, it remains fast, but not as fast as with the systray quickstarter.

I did two installations of a Mageia the same machine, both made ​​with Mageia a LiveCD. One works the icon and the other not. I still do not understand why. One does LibreOffice systray quickstarter icon, and LibreOffice opens immediately, the second half, great.
But in another installation, it does not appear.

Hi,

I tested again the option: "enable systray quickstarter" and it seems that Its is working, in Mageia 1, only using the GTK+ style ( selected in "System Settings" on "Style" in "Style Widgets", "GTK+"). In other styles it does not work.

The icon of "systray quickstarter" does not work (unlike, I clicked on it and the computer crashed, I had to restart, I do not recommend using it), but, when it's there (in the bottom panel of the desktop), I click in the normal icon of Writer Image of LibreOffice and it opens immediately, in half a second.

See topico LibreOffice
macxi

Return to Other