Mageia tunes (log-in and log out)

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Mageia tunes (log-in and log out)

Postby marja » Dec 28th, '12, 19:04

Hi,

Jasper got inspired by the magical name and cauldron of our distro and mailed the attached tunes (it was impossible to attach them uncompressed). He'd love to get feedback. 8-)

Cheers,
marja
Attachments
Mageia Closing Tune Default (Jasper).aif.tar.gz
log-out tune
(326.52 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Mageia Opening Tune Default (Jasper).aif.tar.gz
log-in tune
(752.58 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
marja

Re: Mageia tunes (log-in and log out)

Postby oeai » Dec 28th, '12, 19:38

it's nice!
just need few more sounds so it would be a more like a @theme
at least
error
attention
and few more really using these synths
i'm not a girl really... since my birthday... и кстати я русский, mais je sais le francais tout de même
think first - do the best
oeai

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 29th, '12, 00:33

Shouldn't this be merged together with viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4038 as it's about the same topic?

And forgive my cluelessness, but who is Jasper?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby marja » Dec 29th, '12, 09:56

doktor5000 wrote:Shouldn't this be merged together with viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4038 as it's about the same topic?

That would have made me feel I was hijacking Oeai's topic.

Besides, he/she made a full set of sounds, this is about log-in and log-off only, and I feel this part of the forums is the one for artwork.

Jasper studies music for the media.
marja

Postby oeai » Dec 29th, '12, 12:48

so there will be no other sounds? it is not so difficult really, if jasper don't want to create he can take kinda "notes" from guitar theme and it will sound similar, but i was thinking that different artist can feel music their own way and it is more like interesting to have their own sonar kinda view on for example @error message, really in my system i hear only errors and mail messages, sometimes login, logout but for me it is more like composition as i mentioned before. oh and btw it is much easier for everyone to export ogg files, well it is native for browsers and opensource.
it would be better if he actually wouldnt listen other themes so it was new for him also.
oh and for me it was an obligatory to use opensource stuff only, so that was a guitar =)) well yes maybe because i'm a man ; ) and it is native supported instrument
but right now i'm thinking because my best soft"hard"like sound synth is based on hardware but all dsp stuff made for other system only.
but really i'd like some other sounds.
and it's alright to post in 4038 topic it is made for that exactly. to test sounds or maybe i should get here =)) instead
i'm not a girl really... since my birthday... и кстати я русский, mais je sais le francais tout de même
oeai

Postby doktor5000 » Dec 29th, '12, 19:24

@oeai: You may wan to join Atelier team or at least the mailing list, to discuss this and maybe complete a Mageia sound theme that can be included in next Mageia 3 beta?
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/What_is_Atelier
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Atelier_team
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Atelier_communication
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby oeai » Dec 29th, '12, 20:20

thanks @doktor5000 =)) i'm in already there's a thread about sounds, i've opened a bug report to ask dev team on how to better include it.
https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8539
oeai

Postby marja » Dec 30th, '12, 11:59

oeai wrote:so there will be no other sounds?

Well I told him not to make a full set (or at least not yet).

Wouldn't it be better to (first) find out whether these sounds are like we want them, or whether we'd like him to make them, for instance, sound less alienating, so less like real wizardry, but more warm and cosy, like the magic of a good fairy?

(Even if I don't remember ever having heard about a fairy with a cauldron :P)

Apart from that (something that popped into my mind after I started this thread, when I started my system with my boxes too far open, and the KDE login-tune sounded too loud): do we first want to hear something soft at the beginning of the login tune, so that if a user has his sound boxes still too far open from listening to something with very little dB's before he logged out, he has a chance to silence (can't find the correct word) them a bit before the louder tones start?
Not that I'd be fast enough, but would most people be fast enough?

If I didn't misunderstand him, he'd be glad to get such feedback. I suppose that would make this useful for him as a project for his study.
marja

Postby oeai » Dec 30th, '12, 12:51

about the loudness yeah i was thinking of create kinda moving fade in fade outs but it is useful only for long start theme so it will begin more like silent increasing till some time and then fall down
and this is what can be done pretty easy, the beginning and ending sounds i hear twice in two weeks, i usually don't exit or rebooot the system - just suspend it, but for notebooks it is different and for example wakeing up sound can be more frequent, actually i think that you need the full theme - install and use it for sometime, then you'll hear what's needed to be changed. and really i also think that there should be more themes and then we can actually find the better one - and it will be wrong for other people as well.
the problem of loudness is that it loads settings from your previous session and this is what i was talking about when proposed the login screen with playing music, this can be solved then so you execute the @guest user settings that you can change on the fly, but after loading desktop you'll get your settings back.
and really for kde and gnome i didn't find the right executables where i can deploy some changes
as for the feedback the last notes shouldn't be really so hard pushed, but the thing of theme that after creating author or community can evolve it, so the basic version will probably be modified in later time, for guitar it is a problem of tuning strings, for synth a problem of tuning arps and pads, so after some time he'll get the thing that many people will like - it's just a feeling that this is it! so just need some work and if he get to other sounds he will feel then what he need to change in basic version.
the freedesktop got version 0.8 there were some changes in years - but for me it is - just sounds, in ubuntu community there's a lot of such sounds from games and movies - doing this is not a big problem, but create something new and entire is a creative advantage.
and you remember we were discussing of creating some kind of sound engine using some scripts - and it will change it at all, but first step just to create a scheme and include as is in distro - and then work on it and add more themes.
oeai

Postby marja » Jan 2nd, '13, 21:08

@ Oeai

Jasper plans to work on a complet set of sounds, he liked your question about it :)

However, he doesn't have time to follow forum topics or mailing lists.

Btw, some of the silence I heard when testing some of your sounds, may have been caused by my not having a good enough system. With one of the sounds of Jasper I found out that the very same file can be complete silence, start with 2 seconds of silence or start loud, depending on which player I use and, for at least one player, on whether I play or replay the file.

Cheers,
Marja
marja

Postby oeai » Jan 2nd, '13, 22:17

@Marja =) it's nice
as about players i use alsaplayer or audacious with default settings. but i got more complicated soft so i can see the level in dB.
but also i've reworked the guitar theme a little and it is really louder now @guitar.2.link.
so for those who want to create some - ardour for sound recording and qtractor for sound effects and lmms for synths i liked the zynaddsubfx synth and i got few more just don't know yet how to use it.
i'm trying to get the list of all available sounds for gtk, then for kde and not sure how to create a mga package out of it, need some scripting i guess, waiting for Colin who packages the sound-theme-freedesktop to answer. But finally i got a working Mageia VM with sound, so i can experiment more with it and i've updated my working system with a lot of compiled stuff and i got source codes as well - so just need to get on it and get some tea...
btw congratulations you got 333 posts! ; )

i've made a little bit better page for sounds
http://mageia.symbiants.com so jasper theme can be added.
oeai

Return to Other