Installation ROSA Media Player (ROMP)

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Installation ROSA Media Player (ROMP)

Postby fraterlinux » Aug 25th, '12, 17:40

ROSA Media Player (ROMP) is an unusual videoplayer which differs from similar products due to combination of functionality and easy control. We are trying to refine our product, following the way of simplifying interface and refusing useless elements. On the other hand we are increasing program's potential, adding new instruments which haven't been presented yet.

Technically, ROMP is based on MPlayer and SMPlayer technologies. However our opinion is that SMPlayer is too overloaded with options. In addition, because of ideological differences, our developments can’t be implemented in this project. These two reasons led us to idea of creating our own videoplayer.

Features

ROMP works with all popular types of video files. Strictly speaking, full list of supporting formats is identical to MPlayer's, which became the foundation for our application.

The most popular video formats, which can be opened by ROMP:

(S)VCD (Super Video CD)
DVD including protected DVD
MPEG-1/2 (ES/PS/PES/VOB)
AVI
ASF/WMV/WMA
QT/MOV/MP4
RealAudio/RealVideo
Ogg/OGM files
Matroska
NSV (Nullsoft Streaming Video)
VIVO
FLI
and others

Installation

Process of installation doesn't take much time and can be carried out from console.

You just need to open console, enter the superuser mode and use the following command:

i586:

Code: Select all
# urpmi http://abf.rosalinux.ru/downloads/juliette_personal/repository/rosa2012lts/i586/main/release/rosa-media-player-1.5-8-rosa.lts2012.0.i586.rpm

x86_64:

Code: Select all
# urpmi http://abf.rosalinux.ru/downloads/juliette_personal/repository/rosa2012lts/x86_64/main/release/rosa-media-player-1.5-8-rosa.lts2012.0.x86_64.rpm

Source: http://www.koryavov.net/2012/08/rosa-me ... l-for.html
fraterlinux

Re: Installation ROSA Media Player (ROMP)

Postby yura » Nov 14th, '12, 15:37

is it worth to prefer it behind vlc?

what about their windows decoration and qtcurve (perhaps) theme?
yura

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 14th, '12, 20:46

yura wrote:is it worth to prefer it behind vlc?

Well, the question could also be, does it offer all the functions which VLC offers, i.e. video/audio converting,
streaming, post-processing and such stuff. And also if it is as well maintained as VLC in the long run ...
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby oj » Nov 14th, '12, 21:36

The 64 bit link didn't work, curl failed: exited with 22

I would use something that just plain played video and the audio worked too, on every kind of common file type. If it used less memory than mplayer maybe my computer wouldn't crash every time I forget and start firefox while mplayer is running. :( I would use something else if I needed to do any editing, converting etc. What Linux needs is a PLAYER that works, period.
oj

Postby doktor5000 » Nov 14th, '12, 22:26

So VLC doesn't work for you?

As ROMP is based on smplayer, which in turn is an mplayer frontend, i don't think it will use much less memory than mplayer.
Although mplayer itself doesn't use that much memory at overall ... Also i don't know how the crash is related to memory usage,
and how firefox comes into play?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby yura » Nov 15th, '12, 10:01

doktor5000 wrote:
yura wrote:is it worth to prefer it behind vlc?

Well, the question could also be, does it offer all the functions which VLC offers, i.e. video/audio converting,
streaming, post-processing and such stuff. And also if it is as well maintained as VLC in the long run ...

very powerful argument
forgot about it
yura

Return to Other