New drakxtools WIP

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Re: New drakxtools WIP

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 4th, '12, 13:36

Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:Even if you can make an app having the same theme of the DE, it is not integration. Integration is having applications that are build on the same logic of the DE : integrating into their config center for example is an important point. I think that both frontends (Qt / GTK) as well as ncurses one are important.

That's a point that's debatable. Normally the desktop environment settings/control center
should not care about some system wide settings, only about desktop stuff, IMHO.
There should be a clear distinction and basically no duplication.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Sfiet_Konstantin » Jan 4th, '12, 15:11

doktor5000 wrote:
Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:Even if you can make an app having the same theme of the DE, it is not integration. Integration is having applications that are build on the same logic of the DE : integrating into their config center for example is an important point. I think that both frontends (Qt / GTK) as well as ncurses one are important.

That's a point that's debatable. Normally the desktop environment settings/control center
should not care about some system wide settings, only about desktop stuff, IMHO.
There should be a clear distinction and basically no duplication.

I really don't know about this. In some distrib, (like ubuntu) the tools are unified because there are no notion of administrator. And even, in KDE systemsettings, there are some controls that needs administrator right (like configuration of KDM). Finally, there are some settings that we cannot say if they should be managed by admin or user, like the clock ...

But, another point can be the HIG that are different between different DEs, and in order to stick with HIGs it is easier to use the native toolkit of the DE than trying to simulate the HIG with a different toolkit.
Sfiet_Konstantin

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 4th, '12, 17:08

Sfiet_Konstantin wrote:I really don't know about this. In some distrib, (like ubuntu) the tools are unified because there are no notion of administrator.

Actually, Ubuntu is quite the worst example one can think of for this topic. They give a good example "how not to do it".
Making linux more popular by removing the clear distinction between root and userspace is definitely the wrong road.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby dglent » Jan 4th, '12, 17:58

May be the years when a guy wanted to write the draktools in perl+GTK another one said to him that was a waste of time ....
I'd like to encourage Konstantin and anyone else who works on improvements. Please don't discourage the persons who are able to do such things. We suck (dont have many) of them in opensource.
dglent

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 4th, '12, 22:53

dglent wrote:Please don't discourage the persons who are able to do such things.

That's quite the opposite what we want to achieve, right? But it's not about getting something done
in any way which works, but get it done properly, otherwise it won't be maintainable in the long term.
----
doktor5000

Postby dglent » Jan 5th, '12, 08:28

doktor5000 wrote:But it's not about getting something done
in any way which works, but get it done properly, otherwise it won't be maintainable in the long term.

So you agree that the current situation in mcc needs to be improved and it is nt only a question of gtk-qt aspect.
dglent

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 5th, '12, 09:53

Nope, how do you deduct that from what i wrote?. Actually my personal opinion is:
I don't care whether it's GTK or QTK as long as it works well. And it does currently, so i don't see a real need to change it.
IMHO there are far more pressing issues than just a little cosmetic facelift for drakxtools.
----
doktor5000

Postby Ken-Bergen » Jan 5th, '12, 10:13

As the doktor said it's the function of the tool not the look that matters.

After all you don't go to your tool box for a screwdriver, turn up your nose at the ugly ones in there and repaint them before using them for a ten second job do you?
Ken
Ken-Bergen

Postby dubigrasu » Jan 5th, '12, 10:47

The way I see it:
The guy has a project, a pet project of his, in his spare time. He is willing to do something for us, and he is already motivated his decision/methods, maybe it will work maybe not...maybe he'll give up half way with no result, God knows.

Point is, can't we just wish him luck and encourage the guy?
dubigrasu

Postby doktor5000 » Jan 5th, '12, 14:35

Well, just imagine him working months and months on this project, eventually finishing it, and when he asks on the mailing list
for adoption he's told that he should have done it otherwise, or why a rewrite at all, or for some similar reasons it can't be integrated
without replacing the existing one and without adding duplication.

Do you think that would be better for him or his project?
----
doktor5000

Postby dubigrasu » Jan 5th, '12, 14:54

Well...I would prefer to image him succeeding :).
Is definitely a learning journey anyway.
Even rejected he will definitely gain experience in python, an experience we could still use.
dubigrasu

Postby almusalimalmusalimah » Jan 5th, '12, 19:58

making a QT UI for existing project will be more easier than start building new project with QT UI

any way i wish for your project Mr.Sfiet_Konstantin to be a successful one
almusalimalmusalimah

Postby iamoverrated » Jul 13th, '12, 00:00

Hi,
I was curious if you're part of any of our teams? I'm with the artwork team (atelier team now, I suppose) and I'd be glad to help you. I have a proposal for a redesign as well.
Thanks,
iamoverrated
iamoverrated

Postby jkerr82508 » Jul 13th, '12, 00:14

An alternative approach is being worked on:

https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia ... 17084.html

Jim
jkerr82508

Previous

Return to Other