About expanding the RAM memory of my desktop computer.

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

About expanding the RAM memory of my desktop computer.

Postby Linares » Aug 17th, '20, 18:03

Hi.

I have a Core I5 7400 with 8 Gb of DDR4-2400Mhz RAM, and GeForce GTX1060. It is already starting to be insufficient for some applications, for example when I have to virtualize a Windows 8 to use applications that are not on Linux, such as Adobe Photoshop, Topaz Gigapixel and Luminar 4.

Would you advise me to expand this equipment to 16 Gb with this module for € 35? https://www.pccomponentes.com/kingston- ... 19200-cl15

Or do you think that I would not notice the difference in performance and that, going into purchases, having 3 slots available on the board, I better buy three modules for € 105 and, thus, I make the jump to 32 Gb of RAM?
Linares

Re: About expanding the RAM memory of my desktop computer.

Postby magic » Aug 21st, '20, 12:37

This depends on how much RAM you actually use at any given time.
Doubling the RAM to 16GiB is definitely worth it - that's the minimum I'd consider with any meaningful VM usage.

Since your CPU supports dual channel memory - working in matched pairs will probably provide a slight performance increase (I'm assuming you currently have a single RAM stick; it isn't guaranteed but It's reasonably likely that this will work, in some form, with your existing ram).

Whether you'll need more is a decision for you to make. If delivery charges are not an issue you do have the option of starting with the one extra stick and assessing how it is, reserving the option to add the other 2 sticks at a later date if required.
I see my C has been in the sea too long - it's gone rusty.
magic

Re: About expanding the RAM memory of my desktop computer.

Postby Linares » Aug 24th, '20, 18:20

Thanks for your answer. I thought that my query had fallen on deaf ears.

Based on your suggestions, I think I will finally buy the 3 modules for € 105. For two reasons:

- Because I suppose that, later, I will have to buy them anyway. So when that need comes, I will have saved time, and I will have saved shipping costs.

- Because in the future it may be more difficult to find them (like DDR3, now impossible to find in stores) or more expensive, and that would lead me to have to change the entire equipment.
Linares

Return to Other