Concer about the future of Mageia

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Concer about the future of Mageia

Postby janpihlgren » Apr 20th, '11, 08:16

I have been a Mandriva user since release 8.2 and think it has been an outstanden distribution.
But ....
After downloaded and installed Mandriva beta 2 I have been a little worried about Mageia.
Mandriva have replaced the old "Menu" with something callED ROSA which I disliked. If Mageia has any idea to do the same I really hope that ther will be possibility to choose between ROSA and the old Menu.
The release of Mandriva beta 2 was in my opinion not ready for distribution, not even as a beta. :(
Today I can't see any signal that Mageia is going the same way, so far has Mageia done right.
But I'm worried and hope that Mageia will not follow Mandriva to tight.

If Mageia will keep the direction as the betarelease will promise I will be a 100% fan of Mageia. :)
With hope of the future.
janpihlgren

Re: Concer about the future of Mageia

Postby teaage » Apr 20th, '11, 08:31

Mandriva is using the rosa panel and rosa launcher (and stack folder), because they began an partnership with RosaLABs. It's as far as I know one item of Mandrivas rescue due to a Russian investor (I'm not aware of the details).
So, there is no need to follow Mandriva there, as long as these new staff isn't wanted by the users.
Furthermore, Mageia1 will not bring any new features but concentrates an on stable and usable distribution.

Despite your concerns, I think rosa panel isn't that bad but not yet ready to use, same for the launcher (only tested 5mins yesterday). I'm eager to see the further development of them.
(For those, who don't like them ... just add the traditional menu to the taskbar. it's not a big deal).

Reagrds,
TeaAge
teaage

Return to Other