Is Mageia the "Debian" in RPM?

This forum is for all contributions that do not concern directly the making of the distribution.
Could be : artwork, websites development, goodies, advocacy etc.

Is Mageia the "Debian" in RPM?

Postby macxi » Nov 23rd, '15, 01:34

Frederic Bezian thinks so. Me either

I think the Mageia and Debian are two stable distros that have community development and public infrastructure, open, transparent and very professional, very well organized.
Debian was created in 1993 (see history), Because it is very well planned and organized, won the trust of developers and became a world reference in the development of Linux and is the basis for the creation of hundreds of other distros. By DistroWatch, are 124 active distro, if you include inactive distro, are 344 distributions derived from Debian.
Mageia, by its structure and organization, seems to be going the same way: to be an important community distro in Linux world, but with RPM packages.

macxi

Re: Is Mageia the "Debian" in RPM?

Postby marja » Jan 19th, '16, 14:48

Thanks, Macxi :D

Yes, too me it felt like that from the beginning, even if Mageia seems a bit more "Latin" and easy-going to me ;)
marja

Postby plspls » Aug 15th, '16, 00:42

big difference Debian use apt packages which is good for server but Mageia use rpm which is good for desktop but not servers.
plspls

Postby morgano » Aug 15th, '16, 01:01

.deb and .rpm are just very similar but slightly different ways to package softare files together with some information.
The quality of installing deb/rpm/whatever depends on what is put into them and the package manager software.
There are several different package managers for each.
There also exist different techniques, and i think Flatpack looks promising, and toghether with other techniques software is then more reliably packaged to work on may distros. plus the paplications can be runing sandboxed for better security.
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... inux-apps/
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 15th, '16, 10:13

plspls wrote:big difference Debian use apt packages which is good for server but Mageia use rpm which is good for desktop but not servers.

That is just nonsense, those are just two different package formats, does not matter on which target machine they are installed on.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby plspls » Aug 15th, '16, 11:42

I disagree. but this is a very technical debate. the apt package format is very good for servers for technical reasons.
plspls

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 15th, '16, 12:12

It's not a technical debate, you didn't mention anything technical or actual "technical reasons". And what you mentioned is just nonsense, backed up by nothing.
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby plspls » Aug 15th, '16, 12:49

check for yourself this is what all the experts say it must be true

what you say is backed up by nothing

what I say is backed up by the opinion of all linux experts
plspls

Postby plspls » Aug 15th, '16, 12:55

find an opinion of linux expert that say rpm is better for server ==> impossible, no expert say that, or they are not real expert
plspls

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 16th, '16, 02:27

Just show me one of such expert opinion as reference, stating that the dpgk package is better for servers then rpm.
Any such "expert" that says one package format is "better" is plainly wrong. The same way that one cannot put up blanket statements, something like "ext4 is better then xfs filesystem".

Check yourself: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... deb-vs-rpm

FWIW, I'm involved with packaging since over 10 years, and actively contribute as packager since over 8 years.
----
doktor5000

Postby plspls » Aug 16th, '16, 10:21

Sorry that I can't entirely wipe this fake comment
Last edited by marja on Aug 18th, '16, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: delete text of a fake comment
plspls

Postby wintpe » Aug 28th, '18, 15:18

irrespective of the experts, centos, redhat, suse and scientific are the kings of the enterprise server market and they all use rpm.

whereas mint/ubuntu however much i dont like to say it are kings of the desktop based on popularity and use apt/dpkg , so how anyone could come to that conclusion escapes me.

regards peter
Redhat 6 Certified Engineer (RHCE)
Sometimes my posts will sound short, or snappy, however its realy not my intention to offend, so accept my apologies in advance.
wintpe

Postby isadora » Aug 28th, '18, 19:51

plspls wrote:Sorry that I can't entirely wipe this fake comment

It's not a problem connecting one of the moderators. :D
..........bird from paradise..........

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
isadora

Postby ca-on-adam » Oct 21st, '18, 21:46

I totally agree! Mageia is not run by a corporation, so it is sure to always act in the interests of the people. I feel strongly about supporting the project because of that fact, and also because of the rebellion of the people who were formerly staff working this OS when it used to be connected to a company. They didn't just walk away, they stuck with the project and continued to make it better.

I also like the possibility of becoming more involved with the organization. Since it is relatively new (compared with Debian) I have a feeling that I can be of more help here than with an established distribution project.
ca-on-adam

Return to Other