Authentication on web pages

Authentication on web pages

Postby hviaene » Aug 10th, '21, 16:02

I am storing genealogic data in Gramps, and that program provides a nice possibility to generate web pages from its database. The pages work OK.
But when I want to put these pages on the public internet, I would expose some personal info on living people to the world. So I would like to put a password on such site, but this is a total new area for me.
What I "need" is an GUI-sort-of tool where I can import/open the webpage file(s) and add some authentication (that would go into the index.html file???)
Any pointer is welcome.
hviaene

Re: Authentication on web pages

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 10th, '21, 17:33

You should read up on basic authentication for webservers, which usually goes either globally in the webserver configuration or in a .htaccess file as override per directory.
You don't configure the authentication in every webpage, you configure it in the webserver which serves those webpages.

Have a look at e.g. https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/auth.html
When the webserver is running and you have some users created, you can simply copy all your webpages in the document root of the webserver.

Although my question would be, why do you want to put all those websites on the internet in the first place ?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby hviaene » Aug 10th, '21, 17:57

I'll do the reading you indicated, it makes me think I could have to reconsider some aspects.
But anyway to your final question: I have a quite large family, and its members are in different countries. But as i want to include info on living people, I cannot - or don't want to - put those on public sites like MyHeritage or Geneanet e.a.. So i want to keep access to the data in my own hands.
Last edited by doktor5000 on Aug 10th, '21, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
hviaene

Postby morgano » Aug 11th, '21, 17:20

Loose thought:
If pages URLs are relative, i think they should be able to work in a Nextcloud share.
Then you can upload pages as they are in a folder, and share that folder with password, or user login. Or share individual pages with password.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Postby doktor5000 » Aug 11th, '21, 17:45

That would mean OP would need to setup nextcloud, which is _much_ more complex then just a webserver, IMHO.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby morgano » Aug 11th, '21, 20:39

I was thinking he could use an online nextcloud service to skip any webserver config and not needing an reliable line.

There even exist free limited offers. I tried the free at https://owncube.com/single_en.php and have later upgraded to paid subscription.
Mandriva since 2006, Mageia 2011 at home & work. Thinkpad T40, T43, T400, T510, Dell M4400, M6300, Acer Aspire 7. Workstation using LVM, LUKS, VirtualBox, BOINC
morgano

Return to Networking