LibreOffice KDE integration

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

LibreOffice KDE integration

Postby aguador » Mar 7th, '15, 22:41

Mageia has done well in integrating LO in the KDE desktop. However, there is one minor thing that might be used to improve the interface for the Spanish translation (and presumbly other Western languages). The typeface effects -- Bold, Italics, Underscore -- are done with the initial letters of those words in English, with the effect applied. This is great in English because it reflects not only the word for the effect, but the Ctrl key combos. However, control key combinations in other languages (or at least in Spanish) differ.

Perhaps I am more sensitive to the problem because, while a native English speaker, as someone living in Spain, I prefer my interfaces in Spanish. Furthermore, when working in LibreOffice I typically use the Ctrl key combinations. However, with "B, I, U" on the screen, I am inclined to use, for example, Ctrl-B for bold, when the actual command is Ctrl-N. Perhaps for being an English speaker is is more disconcerning.

The Gtk interface simply uses the letter "a" with the effect applied. While it is not a perfect solution, it clearly solves the problem of "translating" for different languages (at least Western ones). Why not do something similar for KDE integration?

(PS Please le me know if this is an upstream issue and I will make the suggestion there.)
aguador

Re: LibreOffice KDE integration

Postby doktor5000 » Mar 8th, '15, 02:07

aguador wrote:(PS Please le me know if this is an upstream issue and I will make the suggestion there.)

That's what it is, and it's not a problem with the KDE integration but a localisation issue.
E.g. in german you need to press Ctrl+Shift+F for bold (as Ctrl+F is already used for search) but Ctrl+U for underline
and Ctrl+I for italic is still the same. Pretty inconsistent, if you ask me.

Seems it has already been reported upstream and partly fixed: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... i?id=41169
So best search if there's some followup bugreport or create a new one using the steps in https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... =41169#c53

You could try if Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages -> Ignore system input language
and then changing the document language helps (that is, if you write english documents)
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Re: LibreOffice KDE integration

Postby aguador » Mar 8th, '15, 12:44

Thanks, Doktor5000. I searched around a bit with KDE and Document Foundation but did not hit on anything. I've reported it as an enhancement here: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89884.

The Document Foundation may be creating more problems for itself by localising shortcuts. Many text editors and other programs do not touch the shortcuts even though the mnemonics for them are based on English. I can assure you that Ctrl-G (Guardar) does not save a document in Gimp and most other programs. :o
aguador

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia