[SOLVED] Bumblebee,Primus,dkms-bbswitch packages Cauldron

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

[SOLVED] Bumblebee,Primus,dkms-bbswitch packages Cauldron

Postby Dupo » Feb 9th, '14, 01:49

Hi,

I saw that Bumblebee, Primus, and new dkms-bbswitch packages are available in Cauldron repository (Core). Ok, but it's for Mageia 5. :(

Will you give us these packages in the backports repository for Mageia 4 ?

How can we test these packages as they were made ​​for Mageia 5 ? This is a nonsense, knowing that Mageia 5 does not yet exist.

Thanks.

Greetings.
Last edited by Dupo on Feb 16th, '14, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Dupo

Re: Bumblebee,Primus,dkms-bbswitch packages Cauldron reposit

Postby jkerr82508 » Feb 9th, '14, 02:29

cauldron will eventually become Mageia 5 and so cauldron packages built since mga4 was released are identified as mga5. You can test these packages in a cauldron installation.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Cauldron
Important Notice:
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
It may break down your computer, eat your data, burn down your house or kill your kittens. You have been warned! ;)

Since backports are now open, you can ask for a backport to mga4. Use bugzilla to do this. It's up to the packager to choose whether or not to provide a backport.
https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Backports_policy

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby jkerr82508 » Feb 9th, '14, 18:14

Packages for Mageia 4 have been submitted to /backports_testing for both core (nouveau) and nonfree (nvidia).
They should be available on the mirrors soon.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.devel/33706

Jim
jkerr82508

Postby Dupo » Feb 10th, '14, 01:52

Hi,

thanks to Mageia packagers and Mageia Team, packages are available in Mageia 4 repositories (backports_testing). ;)

I will test it as soon as possible. ;)

Could you tell me what is the difference between Bumblebee-nvidia (Nonfree) and Bumblebee (Core) ?
Is Bumblebee-nouveau package must be installed ?

Thanks.

Note: Ok, I check the link above. ;)
Dupo

Postby Akien » Feb 10th, '14, 11:40

Dupo wrote:Hi,

thanks to Mageia packagers and Mageia Team, packages are available in Mageia 4 repositories (backports_testing). ;)

I will test it as soon as possible. ;)

Could you tell me what is the difference between Bumblebee-nvidia (Nonfree) and Bumblebee (Core) ?
Is Bumblebee-nouveau package must be installed ?

Hi Dupo, I'm the bumblebee packager for Mageia. (Thanks filip for pointing me to the thread).

As you were told, I started with pushing the packages to Cauldron, because it's the place were they can be tested for inclusion in the next release of Mageia. I couldn't package bumblebee properly in time for Mageia 4, sadly, but I'm willing to backport it. The packages were all pushed to backports_testing yesterday, so you should be able to test them on Mageia 4.

Bumblebee can work either with the proprietary nvidia driver (bumblebee-nvidia) or with the nouveau driver (bumblebee-nouveau). Both packages conflict each other, since they contain the same files with different settings, according to the driver you are willing to use. The bumblebee package in core contains the files which are common to both -nvidia and -nouveau package. So, basically, you just have to enable to core and nonfree/backports_testing repositories, and then issue "urpmi bumblebee". You should be prompted for a choice between bumblebee-nvidia or bumblebee-nouveau (choose the one that goes with the driver you want to use). Bumblebee should also pull in the corresponding version of primus (primus-nouveau or primus-nvidia), unless you specify --no-suggests to the urpmi command.

See this email for more information: https://ml.mageia.org/l/arc/discuss/201 ... 00109.html
I forgot to post about it on the forum, but hopefully you announced it for me :-)

Thanks for testing!
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby Dupo » Feb 11th, '14, 01:13

Hi,

Thanks Akien. ;)

Must I blacklist and/or unload Nouveau driver on boot (nouveau.modeset=0), if I only want to use Nvidia drivers ?
Dupo

Postby doktor5000 » Feb 11th, '14, 07:55

No you shouldn't have to. Also nouveau.modeset=0 doesn't blacklist or unload nouveau driver.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby Akien » Feb 11th, '14, 13:30

Dupo wrote:Hi,

Thanks Akien. ;)

Must I blacklist and/or unload Nouveau driver on boot (nouveau.modeset=0), if I only want to use Nvidia drivers ?

Everything should work out-of-the-box, with no user configuration required (at least for most users I hope!).
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby Dupo » Feb 14th, '14, 01:11

Hi,

I want to tell to Akien that it works. I tried bumblebee-nvidia,primus-nvidia, etc. The only little problem that I have is that I've got an error message when I launch that command : optirun glxspheres
Here's the message i've got :

Code: Select all
$ optirun glxspheres
polygons in scene: 62464
ERROR(593): Could not obtain RGB visual with requested properties.

Else, all others command worked.

I must check with the glxgears command.

Greetings.

Note: Can I use Nvidia X Server Settings to define brightness, contrast, gamma ? Or is it not recommanded ?
Dupo

Postby Dupo » Feb 16th, '14, 02:57

Hi,

ok, I found the problem.

I used 16 bit graphic mode, and I must use 24 bit graphic mode for RGB. :)

Else, it's working well. ;)

Thanks.
Dupo

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia