MATE Desktop Environment Unofficial Backports

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

MATE Desktop Environment Unofficial Backports

Postby tarakbumba » May 6th, '13, 01:33

Due to lack of time and various other causes which i can not explain here i stopped extra packaging and focused only to official Mageia packaging. So, repository is off. Thanks to all of you who supported and give feedback at this topic. An admin or moderator please close this topic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MATE (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmate]) is a desktop environment forked from the now-unmaintained code base of GNOME 2. The name derives from yerba mate, a species of holly native to subtropical South America used to prepare a beverage called mate. The renaming is necessary to avoid conflicts with GNOME 3 components. (from Wikipedia)

You can get MATE Desktop for Mageia 3 and for Mageia 4 which are directly backported MATE 1.8 from Cauldron.
To add the repository and install MATE 1.8:

Code: Select all
urpmi.addmedia --distrib 'http://tarakbumba.mageia.org.pl/$RELEASE/$ARCH'
urpmi task-mate

Mageia 4 users can also upgrade their MATE 1.6 installation via
urpmi --auto-update

NOTE FOR MAGEİA 4 USERS: I have directly backported MATE 1.8 from Cauldron without modifying release numbers( so you may see caja-1.8.0-3mga4) . Some applications/tools are deprecated by upstream and some had changed their names. Also, you may encounter breakages due to dropped packages for your other applications. This is why MATE 1.8 is not officially backported into Mageia 4. See: Bug#12964. Be very careful.

NOTE FOR MAGEIA 3 AND MAGEIA 4 MATE DESKTOP USERS: As mentioned above, all mate packages directly backported from Cauldron (upcoming Mageia 5). So, there may be problems due to same versioning scheme when upgrading to Mageia 5. To avoid breakages, please uninstall all your mate packages BEFORE upgrading your system.

You can also get some other packages not related to MATE from very same repository, like freetype2-infinality, qt4-fsarchiver, unar etc.

That has been said; these packages are definetly UNSUPPORTED, UNOFFICIAL, PROVIDED AS IS packages. They may break your system, burn your house to the ground, kill your cat! YOU' VE BEEN WARNED!

If you encounter bugs, breakages or problems with these packages, you can ask for a solution/workaround under this topic. It is not very likely but if i get free time i may try to help you. But it is not guaranteed!

Thanks to Mr. Daniel NAPORA and Mageia Polish Community to provide space and bandwith for this repository on their server.

Last edited by tarakbumba on Jan 10th, '14, 10:05, edited 3 times in total.
tarakbumba

Re: [Preview] MATE Desktop Environment

Postby tarakbumba » May 8th, '13, 07:36

Packages ready for x86_64. All built in a clean chroot environment and signed by my personal gpg key. Only a few component remained unpackaged. I' ll try to provide i586 packages soon. Please test and feedback. Thanks.
tarakbumba

Postby diogenese » May 8th, '13, 15:50

Installing task-mate and task-mate-minimal both failed due to missing mate-themes and mate-icon-theme noarch packages. Selecting individual packages failed for the same reason.

Luckily, I had those packaged already. I've been running mate for a few days with packages I put together (probably from the same source) . First builds that need more work, but functional: http://bit.ly/15igpFn

After removed all my packages, installed yours and filling the gaps when needed, the desktop environment crashed shortly after starting. The panel and window manager went away. Not sure why, but this is a fresh install of cauldron and still setting it up. Will try again in vbox and on a test machine as soon as I can get those ready.

Meanwhile, have re-installed what I have because I just happen to like the old Gnome 2 feel. :)
diogenese

Postby tarakbumba » May 8th, '13, 16:07

Thanks for feedback. Probably a server upload issue. I'm really sorry. I' ll check these problems soon.
tarakbumba

Postby tarakbumba » May 13th, '13, 23:40

Packages fixed and server problem gone. Altough i will not upload SRPMS until i586 rpms done, you can install and test x86_64 and noarch packages. Please feedback. Thanks!
tarakbumba

Postby diogenese » May 14th, '13, 08:44

I downloaded the SRPMS before you removed them and used those to created the missing packages and have been running Mate with those since the 8th. Now that your repository is back up, have upgraded to those.

Thank you for putting in your time on this. As far as DE’s go, the more the merrier.

Only minor problems so far and easy to get around. Here’s a short list problems on this end:

With Mate set to automatically remember running applications when logging out, next login starts emacs off driving the processor at 100%, never fully initializes and needs to be manually killed. I have to remember to close out emacs before shutting down or hunt it down and kill it right off after booting.

*edit*
Starting Mate using other window managers, like compiz or openbox, caused problems. The workspace switcher was only aware of the first workspace, only showed icons in the other workspaces when they were active and all saved applications were started off in the first workspace on boot. Switching to other window managers after starting Mate with marco worked correctly.

Even marco has trouble remembering what workspace an application was running in. Only a few, like firefox and gkrellm, open in the same workspace they were running in before logging out. The others all end up in the first workspace.

Mate volume control gives options for the alert sound, but they’re ignored.

After power management kicks in the first time, it seems to forget the allotted time and starts kicking in every 5 minutes. Something of a bother when watching movies.

There has also been some framebuffer issues. After a few days of opening and closing terminals, windows fail to open saying framebuffer device unavailable. Running a dungeon crawler from a terminal gave a little more information: http://codepad.org/17nIuW6M
diogenese

Postby tarakbumba » May 14th, '13, 18:24

Thank you testing again. I did not test with another wm, so can not say if it is a Mate problem. Also, did not encounter marco's trouble for workspaces, power management issue and framebuffer issues. I' ve look into Mate's github issues (aka bugzilla:)) and can not find a clue about those.

Will try to reproduce at least other wm issue. Btw, do you install from my testing repository or using your precompiled packages? If not, please use my build for MATE and try to reproduce them. We should seek for a workaround or a fix for these issues.
Last edited by doktor5000 on May 14th, '13, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed fullquote
tarakbumba

Postby diogenese » May 14th, '13, 19:18

I'm using your build. As soon as I saw your post, replaced all installed packages with those from your repository. I re-tested problems I'd had before with the new packages before posting here.

I'd only been working on the packages for a few days and mate was running, but extremely dodgy. A momentary lapse of sanity drove me to try and had Claire not pointed me to this thread, I'd still be wasting my time on them. I'm very thankful that you're doing this.

The framebuffer problems only seems to happen when I play that silly game. I use helper scripts and in a rather short period of time many terminals are opened and closed. Never ran out of them before. After they run out, no new windows can be openned. Closing all the terminal windows seems to fix it. It's a new one on me.

I'll keep an eye out for anything else and if you make your way into IRC, please give me a ping. ;)
diogenese

Postby tarakbumba » May 21st, '13, 06:46

Packages for i586 are out. Please test and feedback. You can add i586 repository vie below commands:
su
urpmi.addmedia tarakbumba-i586 http://depo.tarakbumba.com/Mageia/3/RPMS/i586
urpmi.addmedia tarakbumba-noarch http://depo.tarakbumba.com/Mageia/3/RPMS/noarch

There are also 3 applications not related with MATE at my repository: emerald, bibus and u3tool. Those are planned to pushed to official repos when Cauldron starts boiling again. Bibus known to not work due to Libreoffice migration to python 3.
tarakbumba

Postby winstonteacox » May 21st, '13, 08:59

tarakbumba wrote:Packages for i586 are out. [...]

Thank you very much, mate! :mrgreen:

Looks good so far, only one glitch which was the same with Mate 1.4:
Each time using mate-appearance one processor core goes 100% and you have to kill the process manually ...

Keep up the good work!

cheers,
Bernd
Now after my words of profound wisdom, I'm going back to procrastinating.
winstonteacox

Postby aranud87 » May 21st, '13, 22:55

Hi,

I try to install Mate on virtualbox for wiki.
But after install, i disconnect (and try reboot) write login + password select Mate and the session load continuously without opening

any idea ?

wiki : http://www.mageialinux-online.org/wiki/ ... s-mageia-3

thank you
aranud87

Postby tarakbumba » May 22nd, '13, 03:56

aranud87 wrote:Hi,

I try to install Mate on virtualbox for wiki.
But after install, i disconnect (and try reboot) write login + password select Mate and the session load continuously without opening

any idea ?

wiki : http://www.mageialinux-online.org/wiki/ ... s-mageia-3

thank you

Did you tried it with a newly created user? I see that you tried it with KDM, i also using MATE on KDE installed system and did not encounter this problem. If you still have this problem with a new user please paste kdm logs somewhere like pastebin? Thank you trying and feedback.
tarakbumba

Postby diogenese » May 23rd, '13, 03:35

I found the solution to the problem I was having openning new windows after a period of time. A similar bug was reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/910539

The bug report blames fglrx-installer. Renaming /etc/ati/atiapfuser.blb to something else does seem to fix it.

Seems unrelated to Mate, but this problem didn't occur using Gnome 3 or KDE. There have been a lot of updates lately and someone just reported a similar bug (#10163) which I've replied to. Hopefully one less thing to worry about.
diogenese

Postby danths » May 24th, '13, 14:38

to me worked just perfectly, without any problems at the moment

Is it possible to get into mageia 3 the backports repositories?

here's some pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80612141@N04/8792283321/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80612141@N04/8792296297/lightbox/
danths

Postby tarakbumba » May 24th, '13, 15:01

danths wrote:to me worked just perfectly, without any problems at the moment

Is it possible to get into mageia 3 the backports repositories?

here's some pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80612141@N04/8792283321/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80612141@N04/8792296297/lightbox/

Unfortunately no. Per Mageia policies no new DE (even new releases) won't make way into stable core. Only in Cauldron.
tarakbumba

Postby danths » May 24th, '13, 15:08

but for what I said to get backports repositories
danths

Postby tarakbumba » May 25th, '13, 02:42

Danths, i think it will be a problem. I' m not sure Mate feature proposal will be accepted. Even then, it is hard to see Mate as backports. Btw, i really like your conky config. Would you mind to send me your .conkyrc and related files?

EDIT: Would you mind to tell what do you think Mageia icons packaged with mate-faenza-icon-theme. I'm not an artist but tried to make missing Mageia icon by inkscape.
tarakbumba

Postby danths » May 25th, '13, 07:11

danths

Postby winstonteacox » May 30th, '13, 20:33

Hi!

If you want a wallpaper-switcher with Mate, have a look here, 1st post:
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1784&p=5628

cheers,
Bernd
Now after my words of profound wisdom, I'm going back to procrastinating.
winstonteacox

Postby ralgith » Jun 3rd, '13, 19:11

The problem I have with waiting for Mageia 4 is that I was already waiting for Mageia 3!

I absolutely hate Gnome 3, KDE, and I'm ambivalent towards LXDE and XFCE. Things like RazorQT I've never even heard of before, though I do plan on trying them. I'm currently using the Gnome 3 Classic mode (fallback), but I want Mate. I love my desktop that is running Linux Mint Mate and I want it for Mageia too.
ralgith

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 3rd, '13, 19:28

Well, if you want MATE, then install it and give feedback to Atilla (tarakbumba). What's your problem?
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ralgith » Jun 3rd, '13, 19:38

doktor5000 wrote:Well, if you want MATE, then install it and give feedback to Atilla (tarakbumba). What's your problem?

Just wanting it to be official ;)

I plan on testing it in VirtualBox sometime this week.
ralgith

Postby doktor5000 » Jun 3rd, '13, 19:46

If you want it to be official for Mageia 4, help test it, provide feedback and help to package and integrated it with Mageia and to prevent conflicts with GNOME.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby ralgith » Jun 3rd, '13, 20:09

Well... what the heck. Installing it in my main system ;)

If I'm gonna stress test it, I may as well really test it.
ralgith

Postby tarakbumba » Jun 3rd, '13, 21:01

doktor5000 wrote:If you want it to be official for Mageia 4, help test it, provide feedback and help to package and integrated it with Mageia and to prevent conflicts with GNOME.

That's true. Please install, test and report bugs. And please be patient. It is not about what you or me want; it is about stability and maintainability of the distro. So, Mate may become officially supported or not. Just test and feedback please.
tarakbumba

Next

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia