Notes on my attempt at packaging

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

Notes on my attempt at packaging

Postby petertrussell » Jun 5th, '11, 18:29

I have made some success at making rpm for python-eye3d and gpodder.

However I dont know if what I did is general accepted practice so rather than
giving away potentially flaky rpm I will share some observations of what I did.

I used mandriva source rpms and adjusted .rpmmacro to make the mga extensions.

Python-eye3d needs python-devel to be installed if you want it to build.

Gpodder needs mygpoclient. Mandriva has this rpm however it drops the files
into /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages When bulding gpodder /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
is being used, so a module not found error occurs. I dont know if this is because I installed
Mageia RC over my Mandriva 2010 install possibly letting 2.6 and 2.7 coexist.

I solved this by linking mygpoclient-1.5-py2.6.egg-info into the 2.7 directory then mkdir mygpoclient in the 2.7/site-packages directory.
Then going back in 2.6/sitepackages/mygpoclient and cp -l *.* into the newly made directory in the python2.7/site-packages.
Linking the files is not an elegant solution. I havent figured out how to change the file destination of mygpoclient. There are probably
future consequences in the hand tuning solution if I want to upgrade.

I tried installing other libraries in the search of the solution but I think that is it. After building the rpm and
su to root and installed it, I immediately ran gpodder and came up with dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply
This may actually be a security policy as I was su to root. As a normal user gpodder seems to be working ok there are some feed errors but most of the podcasts
are downloading.

I hope someone may find this helpful. I still consider myself a bit of a newbie and came up with that after a bunch of trial and error.
petertrussell

Re: Notes on my attempt at packaging

Postby Zezinho » Jun 6th, '11, 16:29

Zezinho

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia