Will there be any other set of languages for Europa

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

Will there be any other set of languages for Europa

Postby filip » Jun 1st, '11, 22:04

Hi, thanks to everybody for a great release. I'm really impressed :shock: overall. Over distribution, community, web, translation marketing, design...

But I still have a question (or a wish) if is there any future for Slovenian in LIVE CD?

And another question. Will there be later any other already at least partly translated languages (like Slovenian) from Mandriva in transiflex?
filip

Re: Will there be any other set of languages for Europa

Postby Akien » Jun 6th, '11, 12:12

To have new languages in Transifex, we need a team for the corresponding locale.
As of now, we don't have a Slovenian team, but we would be happy to have one. Though, Mageia 1 should be partly translated in Slovenian for we imported and clean the Mandriva translations.
So once we have a Slovenian team, we'll ask its members to upload the cleaned translations to Transifex to be able to finish their translation, and have those included in Mageia 2, and even in Mageia 1 as updates.
Co-leader of Mageia's packaging and development team (dev).
List of packages I maintain.
Akien

Postby filip » Jun 6th, '11, 13:17

Mandriva is translated exceptionally well in Slovenian. I use Mageia since first alpha and I almost didn't notice any decrease in quality regarding translation!

Is there any experience how long cleaning would take?
filip

Postby Akien » Jun 6th, '11, 13:25

Well, the cleaning is done, but some strings may have been lost during the process.
But the need for translators is mainly because new strings are added to the softwares, or old ones are modified in order to be clearer, or more user-friendly, or whatever. We imported the softwares from Mandriva, but these are bound to evolve, and we'll need new translations.

That's why most of the translation work we did for Mageia's softwares was completing the cleaned files from Mandriva's SVN, and proofreading these translations, for there were sometimes unclear or erratic translations.
Akien

Postby filip » Jun 6th, '11, 14:12

Thanks for reminding me.

What about topic question?
filip

Postby maat » Jun 6th, '11, 14:39

I guess the answer will depend on people volunteering for adding languages.

If you feel like volunteering for slovenian i gues i18n people would be happy to see the birth of a i18n slovenian team.

The start point is : http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=translators

Just take the slovenian team responsible job, and start translating & recruiting slovenian translators to help you.

That's as simple as that ;)
maat

Postby Akien » Jun 6th, '11, 14:57

Well, if I understood correctly, the topic question is more like: Will there be a Live CD ISO with Slovenian included?
There is already the Slovenian locale in the DVD ISO, but it is neither included in the Europe/America LiveCD nor in the Eastern Europe LiveCD.

Though, I don't have the answer to that question. What are the other missing European languages?
Akien

Postby maat » Jun 6th, '11, 14:58

ah... ok.

thanks for explaining :)
maat

Postby filip » Jun 6th, '11, 15:33

Akien wrote:Well, if I understood correctly, the topic question is more like: Will there be a Live CD ISO with Slovenian included?

Yes. I wrote that in first post.

Akien wrote:There is already the Slovenian locale in the DVD ISO, but it is neither included in the Europe/America LiveCD nor in the Eastern Europe LiveCD.

True.

Akien wrote:What are the other missing European languages?

Slovenian is one. I didn't check others as I don't know the status and quality of them.
filip

Postby ahmad » Jun 7th, '11, 00:06

CD ISO size constraints are always a problem, software grows in size but the CD ISO is still 700MB.

Feel free to file a bug report about the Slovenian localisation packages not being on any of the live CD ISO's.
ahmad

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia