packaging of Java applications

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

packaging of Java applications

Postby gouessej » Jul 10th, '12, 11:34

Hi

I would like to make an RPM from my JNLP (Java Web Start / Icedtea Web Start) file. I tried to use JDIC-Packager (jnlp2rpm) but it works only with the non free version of Java (whereas I made some efforts to remove this requirement from my project), I fixed some compile errors but it doesn't work anyway. I would like to create an RPM that requires OpenJDK 1.6 & Icedtea Web (maybe OpenAL too) and just calls javaws to install and uninstall my project because there are tons of dependencies and other installed applications might need other versions of them. I have found no mention of Java Web Start in the Java policies and as my project is OS-agnostic, I would like to avoid using rpmbuild for such a simple task. How can I create such a binary RPM? Do I need a spec file and .rpmmacros? Can I use the install script to call javaws?
gouessej

Re: packaging of Java applications

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 11th, '12, 20:26

Yep, you need a SPEC and rpmbuild, and an ~/.rpmmacros as you want to create a package from scratch.
And you can call whatever commands you want during install time.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby gouessej » Jul 12th, '12, 09:41

I have recently found a very nice solution to do that. Redline RPM is a pure Java RPM library, I can use it with Apache Ant to make my RPMs even under operating systems not supporting natively RPM packages. I will check my RPMs are correct with rpmlint anyway.
gouessej

Postby doktor5000 » Jul 13th, '12, 21:34

FWIW, here's a link for the record: http://code.google.com/p/redline-rpm/wiki/Usage
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia