Statistics of translations

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

Statistics of translations

Postby dglent » Apr 2nd, '11, 06:38

In transiflex i see that there is a widget to show statistics for the package but i did nt find anything for the hole project. Is this available ?
dglent

Re: Statistics of translations

Postby obgr_seneca » Apr 5th, '11, 18:01

Short answer: I don't know!

Longer answer: I will look into it, but it may take some time...

Even longer answer: Go to transifex.org and study the available documentation. If you find something, tell us!
Linux - free choice for free people
obgr_seneca

Postby dglent » Apr 8th, '11, 06:16

i asked here: http://support.indifex.com/tickets/61 and i had this answer :

You can achieve this using Releases on one of the projects, for
example this "umbrella" one you have:

https://transifex.mageia.org/projects/p/mageia_i18n/

I asked for more explanations as i could nt find a global statistic, i did nt get any answer yet.
dglent

Postby teaage » Apr 8th, '11, 15:56

Each project can have more than one resource (=file to translate).
These resources can be combined to a release with complete statistics.

The problem for mageia is, that each file to translate has it's own project. For example the project Epoll has the resource messages.pot. So to create an release for whole mageia, you need to restructure the whole transifex structure and partly rename the pot-files (on svn also) just for the statistics. I think it's too much effort for a statistic and will create a very confusing structure.

I thinks it's more practical to create a script which requests the statistic of each project and sums them up.

TeaAge
teaage

Postby dglent » Apr 8th, '11, 20:13

However, i dont see yet what is the power point of the Transifex. I use it 1 week, and i did nt find something that improves the translation, i think is very soon now i will wait a little more
dglent

Postby wobo » Apr 9th, '11, 01:00

The main point is in 2 areas:

1. You can work online in a GUI. I have worked with SVN before and Emacs but I see the advantages of Transifex for people who have no experience in all that. They don't have to learn commands and they need not know how to merge files and what to observe when doing so to be translators. A very attractive option for many people who may be good translators but are no command line friends, a fact we should not neglect.
2. Transifex is a collaboration tool. Many people can work on a fiile (translate, proofread the translation, change ithe translation, change it back, etc.) without the need to commit anything to SVN. This is only done when the file has been finished and reviewed (or translation freeze has come).
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby dglent » Apr 10th, '11, 08:17

in svn, I used to correct some translations and after commit all the fixed files. Now it is important to upload a file immediately every time after a modification as i will forget which file i have changed. Or is another way ?
dglent

Postby wobo » Apr 10th, '11, 09:49

The need to upload a file after each change has been there all the time - if you keep it too long somebody else may have worked on it in the meantime and you had to merge his version with yours, which always resulted in some lost work.
Now in transifex a file is locked when somebody works on it, the advantage is clear. But that means also that you should upload to transifex after working on a file so that others can continue translating or proofread your translation. To avoid forgetting which file you have changed it may help if you make a note in a notepad. :)

The main difference between workflow at Mandriva and workflow here is the collaborative nature at Mageia.
wobo
---
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
(Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin)
wobo

Postby dglent » May 3rd, '11, 18:37

ok with the help of indifex and Oliver Burger the global stats are now available here:
https://transifex.mageia.org/projects/p ... 8n/r/mga1/
dglent

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia