Unable to Play DVD's and MP3

This forum is dedicated to packaging and translating :

On those activities rely the making of Mageia Linux Distribution.

Post all questions and information about packaging and translating : feedbacks, discussion about guidelines, packaging practices...

Unable to Play DVD's and MP3

Postby koosjr » Sep 9th, '11, 08:09

I was a Mandriva user for 9 years and I am still thankful for the fact that I got introduced to Linux back then. I had a hectic few years behind me in terms of work strain and I simply could not afford to spend a minute on computer troubles. That caused me to install and use Mandriva 2008 Spring for almost 4 years and all I can say is that it ran absolutely rock solid.

Well, it finally became time to move up to new software as the old browsers and things just could not do all the fancy things so nicely, so I started shopping again. Ubuntu and Kubuntu was always high on my list of ones to try, but I must admit that I simply cannot make peace with sudo. If I need to be root, I want to be root. The main issue for me was, that I could simply not make dual screen work on any of the Distros and then I found Mageia! Since dual screen basically worked out of the box I was immediately prepared to spend some effort to make it work.

So far, I am very happy with the Distro. There most serious issue I found is garbage printing, but other than that it is a great first try. Seems that I will stick with it for now.

Then about the topic of this post: I am unable to make DVD's and MP3's play. I installed every single tainted package I could find, but nothing works. What else can I try? I could always easily get it to work with plf libraries. It is not a serious issue as I use my PC mainly for work, but I do need it often enough and don't want to grab the Window$ laptop then. :)
koosjr

Re: Unable to Play DVD's and MP3

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 9th, '11, 12:12

Please, some informations: What media player do you use and what error does it display?
For DVD's normally you only need to install libdvdcss2 or lib64dvdcss2 on a 64bit system.

MP3 decoding should be supported out-of-the-box, IIRC, but i'm not sure.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby koosjr » Sep 9th, '11, 12:31

Wow! As easy as that? Thanks a lot.

libdvdcss2 did the trick and it is not a tainted package. I was not aware of the exact package that makes it work. All I can remember is that in the past it was always from plf sources.

Same then goes for "lame" then. I installed that from the Mageia source and it made my MP3's play.

Perhaps Mageia should just have an option somewhere where one can isntall all those things with a click, but like Ubuntu only after accepting the terms of the installation.
koosjr

Postby doktor5000 » Sep 9th, '11, 17:23

Well, lame is an MP3 encoder, no decoder (whereas the name is an recursive acronym for "LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder")
Seems one of it's dependencies enabled MP3 playback. Well, for some graphical frontend to enable that, we need someone to program it, do you volunteer to help with that? ;)
I made the proposal to create some package which installs all necessary dependdencies for a full-blown multimedia system, but sadly there was not much feedback.
I think i'll give that discussion another push. Thanks for the hint.
Cauldron is not for the faint of heart!
Caution: Hot, bubbling magic inside. May explode or cook your kittens!
----
Disclaimer: Beware of allergic reactions in answer to unconstructive complaint-type posts
doktor5000

Postby koosjr » Sep 11th, '11, 04:20

dok,

I wish I could volunteer for programming, but I basically wrote my last code about 15 years ago and I have lost most of the skill. I then had to concentrate my efforts of self study to my field of work, which is HVAC. :)

I also never managed to learn the Linux command line as it was never really needed.
koosjr

Return to Packaging and translating for Mageia