[SOLVED] How to save MariaDB's databases?

This forum is dedicated to advanced help and support :

Ask here your questions about advanced usage of Mageia. For example you may post here all your questions about network and automated installs, complex server configurations, kernel tuning, creating your own Mageia mirrors, and all tasks likely to be touchy even for skilled users.

[SOLVED] How to save MariaDB's databases?

Postby FiableDotBiz » Mar 12th, '14, 05:53

Hello.

Our hard disk, with Mageia 3, got a bad block problem. We can still read it, but not boot on it. I installed this disk as secondary disk (on another computer working with Fedora 20 Gnome). I would like to save the databases (containing Drupal websites) of the old disk, so I installed mariadb and phpmyadmin packages on a new booting hard disk with Mageia 4, set up the same password as for the old disk (I don't know where MariaDB password is stored), copied the configuration file /etc/my.cnf and the folder /var/lib/mysql to the new disk. But mysqld refuses to start. I get
Code: Select all
# systemctl status mysqld.service
mysqld.service - MySQL database server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Wed 2014-03-12 18:08:35 ULAT; 2s ago
  Process: 20618 ExecStartPost=/usr/sbin/mysqld-wait-ready $MAINPID (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 20245 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mysqld_safe --nowatch (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 20228 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/mysqld-prepare-db-dir (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 20617 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: Failed to start MySQL database server.
Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: Unit mysqld.service entered failed state.
Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: mysqld.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: Stopping MySQL database server...
Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: Starting MySQL database server...
Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: mysqld.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: Failed to start MySQL database server.
Mar 12 18:08:35 Dell-graphist systemd[1]: Unit mysqld.service entered failed state.

Or is it better, in my Fedora computer, to configure MariaDB to read the old disk databases and to produce a .sql file? If so, how to configure MariaDB for this ?

Thank you if you can help.
Last edited by FiableDotBiz on Mar 14th, '14, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
FiableDotBiz

Re: How to save MariaDB's databases ?

Postby alien » Mar 13th, '14, 09:04

mariadb (and mysql) have an error log file which can tell you what went wrong...

it should be at /var/log/mysql.err or similar. ( my.cnf should contain the exact filename in the log-error directive )

that said, it is much easier if you got a .sql file instead.

boot with 2nd disk, mount disk partitions from 1st disk in some location, and do a "mysqldump -p drupal > drupal.sql" (or whatever the database is called).

that file can then be imported after creating an empty database into an existing running server.

echo 'CREATE DATABASE drupal' | mysql -p
mysql -p drupal < drupal.sql
alien

Re: How to save MariaDB's databases ?

Postby FiableDotBiz » Mar 14th, '14, 12:59

Thank you very much. I eventually succeeded by the 1st method (copying file /etc/my.cnf and folder /var/lib/mysql to the new disk). The problem was an ownership problem: all MariaDB files should belong to the user "mysql".

The second method (producing .sql files directly from the mounted old disk) didn't work, because I don't know how to direct mysqldump to the databases: the mounted old disk is not the standard location.

I've also begun writting this page: https://wiki.mageia.org/en/MariaDB
FiableDotBiz

Return to Advanced support